Online Advanced Certificate Post Baccalaureate in Bilingual Education Extension — Intensive Teacher Institute — Clinically Rich Program, Grades 5 - 12
School of Education
Online Format: Online Mix (synchronous & asynchronous)
- 100% Online
- Affordable Tuition
- No GRE required
- Program completion possible in 12 months
- Courses taught by dedicated, caring faculty who are experts in the field of bilingual education.
- Courses taught by dedicated, multilingual faculty
Program Description and Career Opportunities
This online program is designed for New York State-certified teachers, grades 5-12, who are bilingual in English and a Home Language other than English and who seek a bilingual extension to teach in both languages. All certifications are eligible except ESOL and World Languages. Lehman will recommend program graduates to NYSED upon successful completion of the BEA exam.
- Degree Requirements: View Program Catalog
- A bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited college or university.
- An undergraduate or master’s degree index of at least 3.0.
- New York State early childhood or childhood teacher certification grades grade 5-12.
- One (1) letter of recommendation.
- Demonstrate proficiency in English and in the home language other than English by completing an interview and career essays in both languages.
- Have successfully completed a course in multicultural or cultural perspectives (at least 3 credits). Candidates may take ESC 769 or another course selected in consultation with the advisor to meet this requirement.
- Meet additional Department, College, and State requirements, if any.
The cost per credit hour is $470 (in-state tuition & fees).
- Priority Decision Deadline (first look): March 15
- Regular Decision Deadline: April 15
- Final Deadline: May 15
- Priority Decision Deadline (first look): October 15
- Regular Deadline: November 15
- Final Deadline: December 15
|Contact Program Coordinator
Joye Smith, Ed.D., Associate Professor
New York State prides itself in the high quality of its licensed and certified professionals. For the protection of its citizens, each license and certificate has requirements that individuals must meet in order to be licensed or certified in New York State. CUNY’s academic programs leading to licensure or certification are carefully designed to meet and exceed these State requirements. This is a role CUNY plays in protecting the public. Other states frequently have their own requirements, so if your goal is to practice in another state, this disclosure will help you check to see what that state requires.
Per U.S. Federal Regulations, §668.43 (2019 Rule), and in compliance with the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) Manual version 19.2, CUNY Lehman College provides the following disclosure related to the educational requirements for professional licensure and certification.
This Disclosure is strictly limited to the CUNY Lehman College determination of whether this academic program, that if successfully completed, would be sufficient to meet the educational licensure or certification requirements in a State for Teaching. CUNY Lehman College cannot provide verification of an individual’s ability to meet licensure or certification requirements unrelated to its educational programming. Such individual determinations are made by state licensing boards and are fact-specific determinations.
This disclosure does not provide any guarantee that any particular state licensure or certification entity will approve or deny your application. Furthermore, this disclosure does not account for changes in state law or regulation that may affect your application for licensure and occur after this disclosure has been made. Enrolled students and prospective students are strongly encouraged to contact their state’s licensure entity using the links provided to review all licensure and certification requirements imposed by their state(s) of choice.
CUNY Lehman College has determined this academic program curricula, if successfully completed, is sufficient to meet the licensure and certification requirements for an initial teaching certification license in the following states:
New York State: New York State Education Department Teacher Certification
CUNY Lehman College has made no determination that the curricula is insufficient to meet the licensure and certification requirements for initial teaching certification in any of the 50 states and territories. After making all reasonable efforts, CUNY Lehman College cannot determine whether its educational programs curricula for this academic program, if successfully completed, is sufficient to meet the licensure and certification requirements for certification in the following states:
List of states(pdf)