Update July 7th, 2017
Marcie Wolfe, former director of the Institute of Literacy Studies, kindly agreed to work with Interim Provost Fayne to do a “deep dive” into prioritization documents. The aim was to provide information to advance President Cruz’s goal of strengthening Lehman’s “institutional effectiveness through the actualization and operationalization of the most promising recommendations and strategies” documented in Program Prioritization, in order to advance Lehman’s future as a model of “transformative, equity-based higher education.”
Her final report is organized into five sections: four theme-based information pages and a final page that collects some of the resource challenges (from Prioritization reports) to be addressed if Lehman is to fulfill its potential as a break-the-mold institution. The themes are:
- Lehman as an anchor institution: a college that is, at its core, civics-minded and place-based.
- Lehman as an engine of opportunity and social change: a lab site/model for transformative, equity-based higher education.
- Lehman as an incubator of innovative teaching and learning practices: a college where teaching and learning are digital, analytical, experiential, justice-oriented, and culturally responsive.
- Lehman as a catalyst for engaged scholarship and creative works: a “knowledge asset and resource” (AASCU 2002) both locally and globally.
There is a fair amount of overlap from one theme to another in the descriptions of programs and strategies. As Marcie noted, “Perhaps redundancy helps us to surface innovative strategies and urgent needs.”
- Lehman Intro Page
- Prioritization Review 1 Anchor Institution
- Prioritization Review 2 Teaching and Learning
- Prioritization Review 3 Engine of Opportunity
- Prioritization Review 4 Engaged Scholarship
- Prioritization Review Appendix1 Programs Reviewed
- Prioritization Review Appendix2 Works Consulted
- Prioritization Review Resources Needed
Update November 14th, 2016
- Aligning Promising Advancing the Vision / Achieving the Vision Strategies with the CUNY Master Plan - November 2016 Update (PDF)
- Advancing the Vision Final Report, July 27, 2016 (Login Required for Access)
- Planning & Prioritization Presentation to the Lehman Community, March 16th, 2016 (Login Required for Access)
Lehman College has conducted an evaluation process to examine all academic and administrative programs and services, focusing on their efficiency, effectiveness, and centrality to the College’s mission, within the framework of shared governance. The prioritization process supported the implementation of our Strategic Plan: Achieving the Vision. The goals included:
- Determine the strategic allocation of existing resources.
- Identify opportunities for generating new resources, based on how our programs and services contribute to student success and to Lehman’s identity.
Economic projections suggest that state government support for higher education is not likely to increase significantly in the foreseeable future. Consequently, a significant portion of the resources needed for new programs and to strengthen and/or expand existing programs will have to come from a reallocation of existing resources. The exploration of new strategies to move Lehman College beyond a sustainable academic and financial model into one that is stronger and innovative is essential to the College’s future. This website is designed to provide the campus community with information on the program prioritization as we conclude the yearlong process.
- Advancing the Vision , Memo to Campus Community, February 2014
- Steering Committee Prioritization Memo , May 2014
- Update on the Process of Prioritization of Academics and Administrative Programs, Memo to Campus Community , February 2015
- Prioritization Update , May 2015