Get Health Insurance
The Student Health Center hosts a health insurance navigator on Mondays through Thursdays from 10am-4pm to assist students in applying for ACA (Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare). If you are medicaid eligible (making <$16,242/year), just lost your job or health insurance, or just had a baby, you don't have to wait until an enrollment period to apply. Just bring the documentation listed below and stop by the health center during the hours listed above.
New! The Essential Plan was created for individuals making between $16,242-$23,540 a year to obtain health insurance for only $20/month! It includes doctor's visits (including specialists), urgent care or emergency room visits, tests ordered by your doctor, prescription drugs and inpatient and outpatient care at a hospital.
Required Documentation for Application (bring at least one item listed under each category):
- Identity/Date of Birth (birth certificate, adoption records, passport, naturalization certificate, or legal resident card)
- N.Y.S. Residence (utility bill, letter from landlord, lent leceipts, lease signed within 3 months, driver’s license issued within 3 months, or postmarked envelope - no window envelopes)
- Proof of Income (last 4 pay-stubs if weekly, last 2 pay-stubs if bi-weekly, letter from employer, or self-employed-all tax forms)
- Social Security (Social Security Card or Letter from Social Security Office)
- Immigration Status (INS Documentation)
- Resources (Bank statement)
For more information on the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare): www.nystateofhealth.com
Other insurance links: (None of the insurance plans listed below are endorsed by Lehman College or the Student Health Center)
- NYC Health Insurance Link is an initiative of the Office of Citywide Health Insurance Access and Human Resources Administration/Department of Social Services.
- Stu-Dent plan offered by New York University College of Dentistry provides quality dental services to restore and maintain your teeth and gums. Their low enrollment fee is less than it would cost to visit just once for a check-up, cleaning, and x-ray.
- International Student Insurance and Travel Insure provide health insurance for international students, and U.S. students who are studying abroad.
Last modified: Jan 20, 2016