Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
search this website
search this website

Lehman College Logo Click Here to go back to Homepage

Student Disability Services at Lehman College

Frequently Asked Questions

What defines a disability?

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), a disability is defined as any mental or physical impairment that significantly limits a major life activity. Major life activities include such functions as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working. A person must have a record of such impairment or be regarded as having such impairment. If you have a disability and will require accommodations, you must register with the Office of Student Disability Services in Shuster Hall, room 238. Call 718-960-8441 to make an appointment with our director.

What are reasonable accommodations?

The ADA requires an institution of higher education to provide reasonable accommodations to a qualified individual with a documented disability provided that accommodation does not create an undue hardship. An undue hardship refers to any accommodation that would be unduly costly, expensive, substantially disruptive, or that would fundamentally alter the nature of the program.

How do I receive accommodations?

Once you are registered with our office and have met with our director, you can request services by completing any requisite request forms, which are available online and in room 238 Shuster Hall. (Documentation of a student's disability is also required in order to obtain services. For additional information, see CUNY Documentation Guidelines under Registering with Student Disability Services.)

What if I don't have documentation?

If you have no prior diagnosis or lack documentation of a disability, schedule an appointment with the Office of Student Disability Services Shuster 238 (718-960-8441) to discuss different options either for evaluation by or for obtaining documentation. While we cannot provide accommodations in the absence of documentation, we can provide guidance for securing required documentation. Similarly, if your documentation is out of date, make an appointment with our office to discuss the best way to proceed. 

If I register with the Office of Student Disability Services, will my disability show up on my transcript?

All documentation and information about your disability is confidential. There will be no notation of it on your college transcript.

Is there study room or computer lab on campus for students with disabilities?

The Office of Student Disability Services has an Access and Technology Center(ATC), located in room 146 in the Leonard Lief Library, where students registered with us can go to study and use computers with both general and assistive technology (AT) programs installed. Free workshops and demonstrations are held there, and one-on-one AT training sessions are available by appointment. For more information, stop by room 146 in the library or call 718-960-1167 or 8441 to speak with our assistant director.

Can I still receive money through the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) if I'm taking a reduced course load?

A full-time schedule at Lehman is 15 credits per semester. However, students who are TAP eligible and are registered with the SDS may receive a partial award with as few as 3 credits.

I am a veteran, and I also have a disability. Are there special services available for me?

Lehman College's Office of Veterans and Military Affairs can help veterans and reservists make the transition from military to college life and make sense of any education benefits to which you're entitled. The Office of Veterans and Military Affairs, in coordination with SDS, can offer guidance and recommendations to support your varied needs. The first step is to schedule an appointment with the coordinator of Veterans and Military Affairs by stopping by room 201 Shuster Hall, or by calling 718-960-7188. The coordinator can then refer you on to the Office of Student Disability Services for further assistance.

I am an incoming freshman. Will I receive the same accommodations at Lehman that I received in high school?

Not necessarily. The high school IEP ends once you enter college. Accommodations are provided only in the area of disability, and must be supported by appropriate documentation. College students are responsible for their own success. You are expected to take the same exams and complete the same work in the same time frame as your fellow students. For more information, visit the Incoming Freshmen, Transfer Students, and Veterans and Reservists section under Our Services.

I need a distraction-free testing environment. Where can I take exams?

Students who are eligible for testing accommodations can take exams in our Testing Center, located in room 238 Shuster Hall. For more information, visit the Testing Accommodations section under Our Services.