The Public Safety Department would like to welcome back the Lehman College Community for the Spring 2023 semester and would like to remind everyone of a few safety tips.
The cooperation and involvement of all Lehman College community members is essential for making the campus safe. All students, faculty, and staff members should be alert at all times; immediately report any malfunctions (lighting, locks, alarms, etc.), hazardous conditions and suspicious persons or activites. Please be sure that doors are locked when leaving offices or buildings and always take common sense precautions.
Everyone is requested to be aware of the following:
- Exterior doors of buildings should never be propped open.
- Office doors, file cabinets, and desk drawers should be locked at night.
- Rooms that have alarms should be armed and secured at all times even if you step out of the area for a short time.
- Keys should be carried at all times and never copied or loaned to others.
- Cars should be parked in lighted areas and kept locked at all times. Valuables should be concealed or locked in the trunk.
- Individuals who are behaving suspiciously should be immediately reported to Public Safety staff. Dial 718-960-7777.
- Students, faculty, and staff should request an escort if they feel unsafe walking from a parking lot or between buildings. Public Safety is available for those who wish an escort. Dial x8228/x7777 or 718-906-8228 from an off-campus phone.
- Valuable items such as laptops, cameras, projectors should be permanently marked for identification and locked away in a secure cabinet when not being used.
- Students, faculty, and staff should avoid areas that are isolated or not well lit. Always be aware of your surroundings and know where the closest emergency telephone is located.
- Devise a buddy system in your area to look out for each other. Travel in groups whenever possible.
- Secure your personal property (cellphones, iPod, etc.) and keep it in your possession at all times.
- Carefully monitor and secure your wallet, purse, credit cards, driver's license and ID cards at all times.
- Report any unattended property immediately to Public Safety.
For more information, please call the Office of Public Safety, (718) 960-8593.