Public Safety Alert
On Thursday, March 2, 2023, between 10:15PM and 10:45PM, on Goulden Avenue on the sidewalk adjacent to the faculty parking lot, a non-Lehman College community member was robbed at gunpoint by an unknown male assailant. The assailant has not yet been arrested and NYPD is still investigating the incident. As a precaution, Lehman College Public Safety personnel are on alert and an additional mobile patrol unit will be assigned to patrol the periphery of the campus. The Office of Public Safety encourages everyone to remain vigilant and if you have concerns for your safety, please reach out to Public Safety (for on-campus emergencies, contact Central Command at ext. 7777 or 718-960-7777).
As additional information is received, updates will be provided to the campus.
Here are a few important safety reminders while walking to and from campus:
- Students, faculty, and staff should avoid areas that are isolated or not well lit. Always be aware of your surroundings. Try not to distract yourself by being on your cell phone and/or iPod.
- Devise a "buddy system" to look out for each other. Travel in groups whenever possible. The "buddy system" is not just for students. When you walk to your car at night, or to a late meeting across campus, walk with someone or request a campus escort from Public Safety. Dial x8228, x7777 or 718-960-8228 from an off campus phone.
- Students, faculty, and staff should request an escort from Public Safety. Dial x8228, x7777 or 718-960-8228 from an off-campus phone.
- Students, faculty, and staff should request an escort if they feel unsafe walking from a parking lot or between buildings. Campus Public Safety is available for those who wish an escort. Dial x8228 or x7777.
- Individuals who are behaving suspiciously should be immediately reported to Public Safety.
- Cars should be parked in lighted areas and kept locked at all times. If you are in the vehicle, make sure doors are in the "locked" position and windows are closed. Never open or roll down your windows to strangers. Valuables should always be concealed or locked in the trunk.
The members of the Office of Public Safety strive to ensure the safety and security of the campus community and its visitors by providing information and guidelines on what do should an emergency situation occurs on campus. This information can be obtained at the Office of Public Safety, located in the Apex Building, room 109 or via the Public Safety webpage at: http://www.lehman.edu/public-safety/
RUN, HIDE, FIGHT - Video provided for use with the permission of the Mayor's Office of the City of Houston, Texas.
Click on the link below to view the video.
SERVICE * INTEGRITY * PRIDE
"If you see something, say something!"