Message from Dean Elgloria Harrison
Welcome to the School of Health Sciences, Human Services and Nursing (HS2N) at Lehman College of the City University of New York.
The core of the mission of our School is to educate students and promote and improve the health and well-being of individuals, families, and groups in a diverse global community, with a special emphasis on urban communities. To realize our mission, HS2N promotes community partnerships and experiential learning opportunities for our students with long-standing collaborations with exceptional hospitals and community-based organizations throughout the Bronx, New York City, and beyond.
Health care is undergoing major transformation in the US. In 2018, health care became the largest source of jobs in the United States. Of the 10 jobs that the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects will see the fastest percent growth from 2016-2026, five are in health care and elderly assistance. The health care sector is projected to account for a third of all new employment. Students in HS2N programs are well positioned to enter the health care and human services workforce in a variety of roles. Our students are well prepared to have a meaningful impact on the health and well-being of people in the Bronx and beyond.
It is an exciting time to be at the forefront of research, service, and the educational and professional training of health professionals and research scientists. Here in the Bronx, HS2N serves as a leader in the education of health care professionals thanks to the long traditions of excellence in the Departments of Nursing, Social Work, Health Sciences, and Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences that comprise the School. Allow me to highlight some key facts about our school.
- In July 2022, the Board of Trustees approved the reorganization of three new departments, which are Departments of Exercise Science and Recreation, Health Equity, Administration and Technology, and Health Promotion & Nutrition Sciences. The reorganization brought more synergies between professional preparation that were more aligned with each respective major.
- Dr. Gul Tiryaki-Sonmez is the Acting Chair of Exercise Sciences and Recreation. This department has seen significant growth in graduating students with a BS in Exercise Science that are successfully admitted to doctoral programs in Physical Therapy.
- Dr. Lalitha Samuel is the Acting Chair in Health Promotion and Nutrition Sciences. This department has revised their curriculum in the Health Education major to propel students into the MA in Health Education major, one of our first masters that is totally on line.
- Dr. Collette Brown, Chair will join the Department of Health Equity, Administration & Technology this academic year and will lead and partner with the CUNY Institute for Health Equity in research that focus on health disparities and health equities. Department of HEAT has seen significant growth in the Health Services Administration major, the nursing home administration certificate program, and is planning the re-introduction of the Public Health major.
- Dr. Eleanor Campbell is the chair of Nursing which offers undergraduate and graduate programs, including a fully online RN-to-BS program. Each of the undergraduate nursing programs is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Dr. Brenda Williams-Gray, Interim Chair, leads the Department of Social Work which offers an accredited BSW and Master of Social Work (MSW) degree to complement its longstanding undergraduate program that has been fully accredited since 1983. The MSW program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
- Dr. Peggy Conner is the chair of the Department of Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences which offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in speech language and audiology and is home to a growing Speech and Hearing Center that provides high quality, low-cost clinical services to the community. Our graduate Speech Language and Hearing Science Program is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).
- Dr. Mariaisbel Roldos is the Director of the CUNY Institute for Health Equity. The City University of New York (CUNY) Institute for Health Equity (CIHE) is a CUNY-wide institute that coordinates research, teaching, service and community engagement with the goal eliminate health inequalities, reduce health disparities and promote health.
The Chairs, faculty, and staff of each of these departments have done extraordinary work to establish excellence in their programs.
As Dean of HS2N, I welcome you to learn more about our diverse undergraduate, graduate, and certificate programs and visit our beautiful campus in the Bronx.