Information for Students
Instrument and Equipment Appointments
If you need to sign out a musical instrument or other departmental equipment, please make an appointment here.
- iPad apps available through the Library
- Music History Courses Study Space History of Western Music online study materials
- Teoria Music Theory Tutorials and Exercises
- MusicTheory.net Fundamentals of Music Theory and Ear Training drills
- Open Music Theory a free open-source music theory texbook
- IMSLP free online scores through the Petrucci Music Library
- Research Guide Music Resources at the Lehman Library
- BibMe bibliographic citation guide
Know of a useful online resource? Suggest it here and we'll add it.
Senior Projects and Student Recitals
Students enrolled in MST 496 Senior Project have their choice of completing a major project in music research, analysis, composition, or performance. Please see the guidelines for senior projects regarding expectations.
Students performing a senior recital should book the Recital Hall at the start of the semester and confirm their booking with both Darina Qafleshi and Karl Watson to ensure availability of both the hall and any required equipment. Please see this Checklist for Recitals to be sure you are prepared for your event.
As of Fall 2021, students enrolled in the 64-credit Music major are required to meet minimum piano proficiency standards, by successfully completing MSP 192 (Piano), or by passing a performance exam. Those choosing the exam should contact Dr. Molly Morkoski through the Departmental office at (718) 960-8247. Please click here for details on the Piano Proficiency Exam.
Facilities and Equipment
The Department of Music offers the following to students registered in Music courses:
- 5 small rooms with pianos are available on a first-come first-served basis, weekdays 9am-4:30pm.
- Keys can be signed out through the Departmental office (room 319).
Piano Practice Lab (Room 316)
- 12 digital pianos are available weekdays 9am-4:30pm.
- Headphones are required; bring your own or sign out a pair in the Departmental Office (room 319).
Percussion Room (Room 212)
- A dedicated room equiped with large percussion instruments, available weekdays 9am-4:30pm.
- The schedule for use of this space is finalized in the first week of each semester.
- Instructor permission required.
Electronic Music Lab (Room 412)
- 16 MIDI workstations, with ProTools, Sibelius, Reason, and other software.
- Instructor permission required; available weekdays 9am-4:30pm, except when in use by a class.
- A small number of instruments is available to students registered in performing ensembles or instrumental methods courses.
- Instructor permission required.
There are many opportunities for all Lehman students to participate in musical ensembles, including the Chorus, Band, Jazz Band, Latin-Jazz Band, Jazz Combos, and Orchestra. We also encourage students to create their own ensembles. Past student initiatives have included Gospel choir, woodwind quintet, and other chamber ensembles.
Students enrolled in private instruction are expected to perform in the student recitals at the end of each semester.
Job Opportunities at Lehman
Positions are open for Federal Work-Study (FWS). Students must apply for FWS funds and have the approval of the Financial Aid Office. For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 718-960-5126.