Back to Story
William' Shakespeare's The Tempest was inspired by an account of the wreck of The Sea Adventure on Bermuda Island written by William Strachey, the secretary of the Virginia Colony (believed to be the person who brought the story of the Three Little Pigs back to England):
This was on the 28th of July, 1609
The shipwrecked mariners were on the Bermuda Islands, called "The Devil's Islands" on account of the dreadful storms which the mariners then believed to be the most frequent there. These islands were "accounted as an enchanted pile of rocks, and a desert inhabitation for devils; but all the fairies of the rocks, were but flocks of birds; and all the devils that haunted the woods, were but herds of swine".
From a True Declaration &c., Force's Tracts, Vol. 3, No. 1, p. 10 by William Strachey