Program Requirements for Undergraduate Secondary Teacher Education in Social Studies
Students majoring in History who are interested in getting their certification in teaching social studies at the secondary level can take the following sequence of required courses in addition to required courses for their History major. Upon successful completion, the students will be recommended by Lehman College for certification by the New York State Department of Education.
Required Courses: 44 credits in total
26 credits in the following required ESC courses:
ESC 301: Psychological Foundations of Education (3 credits)
ESC 302: Historical Foundations of Education (3 credits)
ESC 429: Language, Literacy, and Technology (3 credits)
ESC 433: Teaching World History to Middle and High School Students (4 credits)
ESC 434: Teaching U.S. History to Middle and High School Students (4 credits)
ESC 470: Supervised Student Teaching (3 credits)
ESC 463: Special Needs Students (3 credits)
ESC 471: Student Teaching Seminar (3 credits)
Total 18 credits. One undergraduate course in each of the following social science areas:
Anthropology (3 credits)
Sociology (3 credits)
Geography (3 credits)
Political science (3 credits)
Economics (3 credits)
Psychology: (3 credits)
Courses must be chosen in consultation with the coordinator of the social studies program.
Entrance, Continuation, and Exit Conditions
To enter the program, students must:
- Pass all CUNY skills tests.
- Pass three intensive courses with a combined index of 3.0 or better.
- Declare a major in History.
- Meet with the social studies program education coordinator.
To continue in the program, students must:
- Complete all courses with a combined index of 2.7 or better.
- Complete ESC 433 and ESC 434 with a combined index of 3.0 or better.
- Take NYS Assessment of Literacy Skills Test (ALST), the Educating All Students (EAS), and CST exams and submit scores to the Office of the Dean of Education.
- Take one course in each the following social science disciplines: political science, economics, geography, psychology, sociology, and anthropology.
- Complete ESC 470 (Student Teaching in the Middle Grades and High School Grades), ESC 463 (Special Needs Students), and ESC 471 (Student Teaching Seminar).
To exit the program and receive Lehman College's recommendation for New York State Teacher Certification, students must:
- Complete all course requirements as outlined above.
- Complete student teaching with a grade of B or better in each course.
- Complete the major in the area of certification with an index of 2.7 or better.
- Complete all degree requirements with an index of 2.7 or better.
- Complete one year of college-level study of a language other than English.
- Complete two State-mandated workshops on (a) Child Abuse Identification and Reporting and (b) School Violence Intervention and Prevention.
- Complete all required NYS arts and science requirements.
- Submit passing scores on the ALST, EAS, edTPA, and CST.
Last modified: 11/20/2014