Enabling javascript will improve the functionality of this page. skip to content
Lehman College

Catalog search

Catalog links

print page

Academic Competitive Grant

An eligible student may receive an Academic Competitiveness Grant of up to $750 for the first academic year of study and up to $1,300 for the second academic year of study. To be eligible for each academic year, the student must:

  1. be a U.S. citizen;
  2. be a Federal Pell Grant recipient;
  3. be enrolled full-time in a degree program;
  4. be enrolled in the first or second year of his/her program of study at a two-year or four-year degree-granting institution (such as CUNY);
  5. have completed a rigorous secondary school program of study (after January 1, 2006 if a first-year student, and after January 1, 2005 if a second-year student);
  6. if a first-year student, not have been previously enrolled in an undergraduate program; and
  7. if a second-year student, have at least a cumulative 3.0 Grade Point Average on a 4.0 scale for the first academic year.

In New York State, a Regents Diploma with Honors or Advance Designation serves as evidence of a rigorous secondary school program. A student may also qualify through completion of a prescribed set of courses taken, or two AdvanceD Placement (AP) courses with a minimum score of three (3) on the AP exams or two International Baccalaureate (IB) courses with a score of four (4) on the I.B. exams.

The prescribed set of courses must include four years of English, three years of Math (including Algebra I and higher-level courses, such as Algebra II, Geometry, or Data Analysis and Statistics), three years of science (including at least two courses from biology, physics, or chemistry), three years of social studies, and one year of a foreign language.

Most potential recipients will be notified by the U.S. Department of Education and will be given a website link that will help them determine whether they have completed a "qualifying rigorous secondary school program." A student's college will then be notified and will verify eligibility. Students who are not notified by the Department of Education and think they may be eligible, should contact the Financial Aid Office to determine eligibility.

Last modified: 7/30/2015