International Student Services

Social Security Number

The Social Security Administration issues a Social Security Number. The Lehman College I.D. number is not a Social Security number.

Students who are employed on or off campus will require a SS number to begin employment. A Social Security number is not permission to work in the U.S. Only Immigration can grant F-1 and J-1 visa holders permission to work off-campus.

F-1 students who apply for a SS number on the basis of on-campus employment will have to present a letter from the International Student Services Coordinator stating:

  • The student is authorized to engage in on-campus employment.
  • The nature of the employment.
  • Name of the employer for whom the student will be working.
  • A statement from the on-campus employer to prove he/she is engaging in or has secured employment (date employment will begin).

These rules do not apply to F-1 students with an Employment Authorization card (EAD) for Optional Practical Training or those who have been recommended in SEVIS for Curriculum Practical Training.

Additional information can be provided by The International Student Services Coordinator in Shuster Hall, Room210.

Last modified: Jan 31, 2012

  • Division of Student Affairs
Text Only Version of Site | Make This Website Talk