Step 3 | J-1 | Enter The United States
The earliest date you may enter the U.S. is 30 days before the program start date on your Form DS-2019. When you are ready to travel, make sure that your travel documents are in your hand (and not packed in a suitcase) for the immigration officer to review.
Are you entering the U.S. for the first time with a Lehman Form DS-2019?
If you answered YES, it means that you are coming to the United States for the first time with your Lehman College DS-2019.
Please bring with you:
1. The Lehman Admission/Acceptance Letter
2. A valid passport (passport must be more than 6 months valid from the time your travel to the United States. Please contact our office if you are not sure about this requirement)
3. A valid J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa (If you are a citizen of Canada or Bermuda you do not need an J-1 visa to travel to the U.S but you do need a DS-2019 from Lehman)
4. The Form DS-2019
5. The I-901 SEVIS Fee receipt
6. Financial documents (carry the same financial documents used to apply for the DS-2019 and J-1 or J-2 visa)
7. J-1 Responsible Officer (RO) and J-1 Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) names and contact Information
If you answered NO, it probably means you are already in the U.S. in J-1 Status and studying at Lehman College.
Please check our "J-1 Domestic & International Travel Section" for important information about re-entering the U.S. after your trip.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are a current J-1 student here at Lehman you "must" contact and speak to an International Student Advisor before you travel inside or outside the U.S.