International Student Services

Employment Opportunities

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

F-1 students may be eligible to engage in temporary employment for Optional Practical Training in their field of study. Optional Practical Training is divided into two categories of employment: Part-time OPT before completion of studies for a maximum of 20 hours per week or full-time OPT at completion of studies. Immigration (USCIS) will grant Optional Practical Training for a maximum of twelve months. You may apply for OPT at the completion of each degree (Associate, Bachelor, Masters). To be eligible for Optional Practical Training, a student must be in F-1 status for one academic year.

Optional Practical Training must be recommended by the International Student Services Coordinator and authorized by USCIS before you start working. See the International Student Services Coordinator in Shuster Hall, Room 210 for an application packet. For detailed information see section on OPT.

Curriculum Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training is employment which is an integral part of an established curriculum. It must be listed in the College catalogue with a course number and credits awarded. CPT is offered only prior to completion of your degree and you must have a job offer at the time of application. See the International Student Services Coordinator in Shuster Hall, Room 210 for CPT authorization, after you have met the criteria.
For more information see section on CPT.

On-Campus Employment

A student in legal F-1 status may accept employment on-campus provided the student is enrolled full-time in a degree program. On-campus employment means work performed on the school’s premises.

This is a brief overview of employment offered to students in F-1 status. For more detailed information, see the sections on OPT and CPT or you can visit the International Student Services Coordinator  in Shuster Hall, Room 210.

Last modified: Jan 31, 2012

Text Only Version of Site | Make This Website Talk