If you are suffering a severe economic hardship due to unforeseen changes in your financial circumstances, you may apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for authorization to work off-campus.
Examples of unforseen circumstances
1. Substantial increases in tuition and/or living costs
2. Unexpected changes in the financial condition of your source of support, such a loss of a family business
3. Excessive medical bills
4. Loss of financial support (sponsor(s))
5. Substantial fluctuations in the value of currency or exchange rate
General Eligibility Requirements
1. You must have been in F-1 status for one academic year
2. You must be in good academic standing
3. You must document that on-campus employment opportunities are unavailable or insufficient to meet your financial needs.
For addional information, questions please contact an International Student Advisor.