International Student Services

How to apply for an F-1 VISA

Contact the U.S. Embassy in your home country for details on how to apply for an F-1 visa.

You can also find detailed information on the U.S. Department of State website, if you click on "Study in the U.S." See the link on the International Student Services home page.

Form and Fee requirements:

  • I-20 Form
  • Forms: 156 and 158
  • SEVIS I-901 fee receipt
  • Visa application fee

For detailed information on the SEVIS fee and the I-901 remittance form, see the U.S. Department of Homeland Security website at

Take the receipt of the SEVIS fee payment to the visa interview.

Bring the following documents to your visa interview:

  • Valid passport
  • I-20 received from Lehman College
  • Lehman College admission letter
  • Complete visa applications
  • Two photographs as described by the Consulate
  • Receipt for visa application fee
  • Receipt for SEVIS Fee.
  • Financial documents that prove you have the financial ability to pay for studies in the U.S.
  • Documents that shows your intention is to return to your home country upon the completion of your degree

Be prepared to discuss the following topics:

  • Be ready to clearly explain why you want to come to the United States to study at Lehman College.
  • Why you are taking the field of study you selected at Lehman College.
  • What career your studies will enable you to enter when you return home?
  • Be prepared to discuss your intentions to return home after you complete your studies.
  • Present documents and be able to discuss the ties you have to your home country.
  • Practice your English. Unless you are going to study English at a school in the U.S., you are expected to speak English to the consul. You may also be asked to show your TOEFL score.
  • You are required to prove (with your financial documents) that you can support the costs of studying and living in the U.S.A.
  • Employment in the U.S. is strictly controlled by Immigration. F-1 students are not permitted to work unless authorized by Immigration.
  • DO NOT ENTER ON A VISITOR OR “B” TYPE VISA, if you intend to study in the U.S.

Last modified: Jan 31, 2012

  • Division of Student Affairs
Text Only Version of Site | Make This Website Talk