The CUNY Service Corps gives students the chance to play a role in improving New York City’s future - while gaining real-work experience and getting paid. By providing on-the-ground support to a wide range of non-profit and civic endeavors, the CUNY Service Corps both increases the availability of valuable services to New Yorkers and enables CUNY students to become more engaged in their communities throughout the city. Service Corps students join a prestigious University community practicing service and building skills.
The program is organized around themes that represent both opportunity and need:
- A Healthier City: Corps members address important community and public health issues, such as chronic disease management, childhood obesity, lead poisoning prevention, infant mortality, violence prevention, nutrition, and food security.
A More Resilient and Greener City: Corps members support projects related to improving the city’s built and green infrastructure and making it more resistant to storm-related damage.
- A Better Educated City: Corps members offer valuable supports to students of all ages, such as those in early childhood programs (and their families and caretakers), public middle and high school students, fellow CUNY students struggling with academic and personal challenges, and adult students learning English or preparing to take the High School Equivalency examination.
- An Economically Stronger City: Corps members focus on small business development, local budgeting, fundraising for nonprofits and community issues, financial literacy as well as helping eligible families to access tax credits in order to bolster the economic viability and success of distressed communities within the city.
Examples of Current Projects:
- Helping senior citizens to use technology effectively
- Designing promotional flyers to attract youth to a job training program
- Teaching children about animals in a zoo
- Promoting financial literacy among adults
- Researching energy efficiency
- Providing administrative support to hospital Vice Presidents
Becoming a Member:
- Full time undergraduate and Graduate students are invited to apply
- Students apply online in January & February to serve the following academic year
- All Service Corps members will undergo a training program before their placements begin
- Service Corps placements will last twenty-four weeks over two semesters; students will work 12 hours per week
For more information contact:
Associate Director, CUNY Service Corps Manager
Office of Community Engagement & New Student Programs
Old Gym, Room 302