SYI Academic Advisement
The SYI Program will help you to establish and obtain the long term goals you set for yourself at Lehman. While sophomores have the benefit of being more prepared to access the resources they learned about as freshmen, SYI students will have a designated Academic Advisor to provide continuing assistance in navigating these resources. Your Academic Advisor will help in choosing classes to meet general education requirements, discuss effective academic planning, and determine strategies to succeed in your coursework. Advisors may also provide referrals to various academic programs and student services to help support your success. Your advisor’s role is to provide information and support so that you can make informed decisions about your education.
Who is my SYI Academic Advisor?
Dyan Atkins provides academic advisement for transfer students having between 15-45 credits. Contact Dyan by Phone: (718) 960-1971 / Email: Dyan.Atkins@lehman.cuny.edu.
Dyan is located in: Shuster Hall, Room 288. / Office hours: Monday-Friday from 9 pm–5 pm.
Julia Naddeo provides academic advisement for second semester freshmen and sophomores with last names between A-Ma.
Contact Julia by Phone: (718) 960-7788 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Julia is located in: Shuster Hall, Room 279A. / Office hours: Monday-Friday from 9 pm-5 pm.
Elizabeth Denhoff provides academic advisement for second semester freshman and sophomores with last names Mb-Z.
Contact Elizabeth at (718) 960-1972 / Email: email@example.com.
Elizabeth is located: Shuster Hall, Room 288. / Office hours: Monday-Friday from 9 pm–5 pm.
How can I schedule an appointment with my SYI Advisor?
Students need to schedule an appointment with their SYI Academic Advisor through direct contact either in person or by phone or email.
How often should I see my Advisor?
Students need to meet with their designated SYI Academic advisor at least once every semester to track their academic progress, and to address issues and/or concerns that may prevent them from completing their degree requirements.
If you are a sophomore with a cumulative GPA less than a 2.0, you need to meet with an SYI Academic Advisor regularly throughout the semester. Your Advisor will discuss strategies to help get you back on track and succeed in your studies at Lehman.
How can my SYI Academic Advisor help me?
Your SYI Academic Advisor is here to help you succeed! In order to achieve success, you need to contact your SYI Academic Advisor to receive support in any one of the following areas:
- Discuss your educational plans to help you to select electives/liberal arts courses that support your interests and Long Range Academic Plan (LRAP)
- Seek advice when having uncertainty about choosing a major and/or how to declare a major
Planning a schedule:
- Assistance with course scheduling and registration
- Guidance with creating a manageable schedule that will work for you
Reviewing academic progress:
- Review your educational progress towards completing your general education requirements
- Discuss your progress in your classes and successful study strategies
Connecting with the Lehman campus:
- Help with navigating college resources and connecting with faculty members who have expertise in my area of interest
- Opportunities to participate in workshops, events, student clubs and/or organizations
Staying the course:
- Concerns about time management and/or struggling with coursework
- Extenuating circumstances such as a family emergency or medical illness which may significantly affect your ability to attend class and/or remain in school
- Lack of motivation and/or interest in your studies
SYI Career Advisement:
- Your sophomore year sets the tone for the rest of your time at Lehman and you will make some important and exciting decisions. Perhaps the most significant decision you will make is declaring your academic area of study. Your SYI Career Advisor will work with sophomore students to explore academic and career interests, discover internship opportunities, and will help you as you embark on the process of declaring your major.