Video Conferencing: Zoom
Zoom uses video conferencing and screen-sharing to provide easy to use interactive communication. You can also record sessions for later viewing. One can use Zoom for real time class sessions, for office hours, or to bring in a virtual guest speaker. Zoom allows for 25 video streams simultaneously and up to 100 audio participants. Use your CUNY login information at cuny.zoom.us to access your Zoom account for free. This includes polling, breakout rooms and live transcriptions.
Why use Zoom?
- Hold virtual office hours
- Use the recording feature to save a session for future reference, and share it with people who couldn’t attend in real-time
- Bring in a guest speaker from a remote location
- Share a document or presentation, and annotate it while you discuss it together
- Give keyboard and mouse control to another participant – great for troubleshooting
- Record screencast of mini-lectures, course overviews, instructor introductions.
- The only person who needs an account is the person who originates the meeting
- Hold quick group/department meetings
- Polling -Use questions to engage with participants during the meeting.
- Live Transcription -Ability to create a live script and subtitles for the meeting.
- HD video- and audio-conferencing (with a phone) for up to 100 people at a time
- Active and spotlight speaker—very useful for meetings with multiple participants
- Private and group chat during the meeting
- Accessible from mac, windows, iOS, and android devices
- Screen Sharing—desktop and mobile—(e.g. revise an article prior to submission)
- Video recording—MP4 recording and playback—screen annotations (e.g. record an exam review session and upload it to Blackboard so students who could not be there in person can access the information or record a technology training session or simply a meeting and share it online with those who could not attend)
- Schedule meetings in advance and schedule recurring meetings—a link that is stable for one year—(e.g. office hours, advising, talking with students at their clinical sites, quick meetings with people on another campus)
Tutorials for Getting Started
- Lehman College Getting Started PDF and Getting Ready for an Online (Zoom) Meeting PDF DOC
- Getting Started Desktop Computers / iOS Devices
- Feature Overview
- Recording a Meeting (Desktop Computers Only)
- Schedule Zoom Meetings with Outlook Zoom Web / Lehman PDF
- Zoom Webinar Recording: Top 10 Most Asked Questions: Zoom for Education (recommended for new Zoom users)
- Zoom Webinar Recording: Best Practices for Working from Home with Zoom (recommended for new Zoom users)
- Polling for Meetings
- Zoom Live Transcription (cuny.edu)