Graduate Bulletin 2011-2013 » Academic Programs and Courses » Counseling, Leadership, Literacy, and Special Education » Family Counseling Extension » Family Counseling Extension Continuation Requirements
Family Counseling Extension Continuation Requirements
- Meet with a faculty adviser to plan courses and receive course approvals prior to or during registration each semester.
- Access and maintain liability insurance through student membership in the American School Counselor Association or the American Counseling Association for coverage during all pre-practicum, practicum, internship, and fieldwork experiences.
- If conditions were placed on initial matriculation, all conditions must be met by the completion of the first 12 credit hours.
- 18 credits in beginning counseling courses with a minimum 3.0 G.P.A., a completed practicum supervision agreement form signed by the K-12 practicum placement site supervisor, and permission of the clinical coordinator are required prior to placement in practicum.
- 36 credits in counseling courses with a minimum 3.0 G.P.A., a minimum of a grade of B in EDG 707, Practicum in Counseling, a completed internship supervision agreement form signed by the K-12 internship site supervisor, and permission of the clinical coordinator are required prior to placement in internship.
- Demonstrated evidence of counseling, leadership, and advocacy skills through school-based service projects, community service, and local, state and/or national counseling association participation.
- New York State also requires candidates for the bilingual certificate to pass the Bilingual Education Assessment (BEA). Lehman expects students to pass this exam before completing nine (9) program credits or during the first two semesters of matriculation.
Last modified: 5/10/2013