Graduate Bulletin 2013-2015 » Academic Programs and Courses » Middle and High School Education » Advanced Certificate in Mathematics Education (24-27 Credits) » Advanced Certificate in Mathematics Education Admission Requirements
Advanced Certificate in Mathematics Education Admission Requirements
Candidates wishing to enter the Mathematics Education Certificate Program must meet the following conditions as determined by the program coordinator:
- Possess a bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited college or university which meets New York State requirements for a general education core in the liberal arts and sciences. This degree shall include a mathematics major, with a minimum of 36 credits in mathematics.
- Possess a master's degree in mathematics or an approved mathematics-related field.
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully pursue graduate study by having a master's grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better.
- Satisfy the content requirements for New York State initial certification.
- Submit scores on the NYS LAST Teacher Examination and the NYS Content Specialty Test in Mathematics (CST).
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation, at least one of which is from a college or university instructor of mathematics.
- Submit a 500-word essay on career goals.
- Participate in a personal interview.
- Meet additional departmental, divisional, and New York State requirements, if any.
- If conditionally admitted, make up requirements starting in the first semester and finishing in no more than three consecutive semesters.
Last modified: 7/27/2015