Graduate Bulletin 2013-2015 » Academic Programs and Courses » Middle and High School Education » Advanced Certificate: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) » TESOL Certificate Admission Requirements
TESOL Certificate Admission Requirements
- Possess a bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) with an overall index of 3.0 or better, and a liberal arts and sciences major of at least 30 credits from an accredited college or university. In order to be recommended by Lehman College for ESOL certification, candidates must have successfully completed a liberal arts and sciences core specific to TESOL teachers (see "Additional Requirements for Initial and Professional Certification in ESOL" below).
- New York State teacher certification.
- A master's degree appropriate for New York State professional certification.
- Demonstrate the study of a language other than English (12 credits) or an equivalent experience.
- The study of cultural perspectives of one or more ESL populations (at least 3 credits).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation and a 500-word essay on career goals.
- Participate in an interview, which requires producing a writing sample in English.
- Satisfy appropriate voice, speech, and health standards.
- Meet additional Departmental, divisional, and New York State requirements, if any.
- If conditionally admitted, make up requirements starting in the first semester and finishing in no more than three consecutive semesters.
Last modified: 3/10/2015