Enabling javascript will improve the functionality of this page. skip to content
Lehman College

Catalog search

Catalog links

print page

Federal Programs

Federal Perkins Loan Program: Application is made through the Financial Aid Office by filing a FAFSA Application. Loans are available to students enrolled with at least 6 or more graduate degree credits. Repayment is at 5% interest and begins six months after graduation or departure from school, and may extend over a period of ten years.

NOTE: Students whose Perkins loans have been discharged in bankruptcy are not eligible to receive any further Perkins loans. For more information please go www.lehman.edu/vpstud/finaid/.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP): Application is made through the Financial Aid Office by filing a paper Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or at www.fafsa.gov.ed. The applicant must be enrolled in courses totaling at least 6 graduate degree credits. Students may work up to 20 hours per week when classes are in session.

Veterans Administration (VA) Educational Benefits: Application Procedures. Application forms are available at all VA offices, active duty stations, and American embassies. Completed forms are submitted to the nearest VA office. In New York City, the Department of Veteran Affairs is located at 245 W. Houston Street, New York, NY 10001.

Educational Programs: The most important categories of Department of Veterans Affairs educational assistance programs are as follows: (a) Montgomery G.I. Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30), (b) Montgomery G.I. Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 106), (c) Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32), (d) Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35), and (e) Rehabilitation (Chapter 31).

Eligibility requirements, entitlements, time limits, and programs of education vary somewhat among the programs identified above. Veterans with questions may consult the Office of the Registrar, Shuster Hall, Room 114.

Supplemental Education Benefits: Tutorial assistance, work-study benefits, VA educational loans, and emergency loans are available to eligible veterans. Applications should be secured from the VA. The Veterans Affairs Office is located in the Office of Student Affairs, Shuster Hall, Room 238.

Last modified: 3/10/2015