Degree Requirements and Policies
To earn a Master of Arts, Master of Science, Master of Science in Education, Master of Social Work, Master of Public Health, Master of Arts in Teaching, or Master of Fine Arts degree, a student must:
- Be formally admitted to a master's degree program. Students cannot be matriculated simultaneously in more than one master's degree program at Lehman College. See Dual Graduate Program Matriculation.
- Complete no fewer than 30 credits of graduate courses that are acceptable to the department of specialization.
- Maintain a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0.
- In most programs, write a thesis based on independent research, complete an appropriate special project, and/or pass a comprehensive examination. Departmental requirements are outlined elsewhere in this bulletin.
- Complete all requirements for the degree within five years following matriculation.
- Complete all departmental requirements for the degree.
DUAL GRADUATE PROGRAM MATRICULATION
Graduate students cannot be simultaneously matriculated in the following: Master of Arts, Master of Science, Master of Science in Education, Master of Social Work, Master of Public Health, Master of Arts in Teaching, or Master of Fine Arts degree programs. After completion of a first master's degree at Lehman, students must contact the Office of Graduate Admissions if they wish to begin a second master's degree program.
Graduate students may pursue a certificate or extension program while completing a master's degree program if the student adheres to the admissions requirements for that certificate or extension program. If a student is already matriculated in a master's degree and would like to add a certificate program during their course of study, they must fill out a Change in Graduate Curriculum form, located in the Office of Graduate Studies.
Last modified: 9/6/2013