2014 APPLICATION AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION:
- Myself Third: Spirit of New York Scholarship 2014 Application [PDF]
- Myself Third: Teacher-Guidance Letter of Support [PDF]
- Myself Third: Volunteer Supervisor Recommendation [PDF]
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 28, 2014
City College alumnus Robert Friedman established the Myself Third: The Spirit of New York Scholarship in 2002, in honor of those who participated in the rescue effort following the World Trade Center tragedy. The purpose of the scholarship program is to encourage and reward the civic involvement of high school students.
Each year, the scholarship progran awards $5,000 a piece to multiple College Now students planning to attend the City University of New York. Qualifying students must be graduating seniors who have participated in at least one College Now course or workshop. Applicants must have completed at least 50 hours of volunteer work in the past twelve months. Volunteer activities should be subtantive and not exclusive to high school graduation requirements. Applications are available during the Spring semesters only.
Teachers from each of the high schools affiliated with College Now may nominate two senior-year students. The teachers will guide those students through the application process. Students must submit a comprehensive application which includes:
- a teacher recommendation,
- a transcript of grades,
- a description of work, volunteer and extra-curricular experiences, and
- an essay in which they define their understanding of civic responsibility and describe a personal experience that illustrates their commitment to providing service to others.
Further information regarding applications and detailed guidelines may be obtained from the College Now representative at each of the participating high schools (see the CUNY College Now web page), or by calling tel. 646-344-7322.
Last modified: Mar 24, 2014