Lehman College and the Pre-Health Professions
Whether you are just finishing high school, transferring from a community college, returning to college after years in the workforce, or following an alternative trajectory, Lehman College is a great place to pursue your studies in preparation for a career as a doctor, dentist, veterinarian, pharmacist, optometrist, physician assistant, occupational therapist, or physical therapist.
- A World-Class Undergraduate Education
- A Proven Track Record
- Affiliation Agreements
- A Diverse Community
- Support and Guidance at Every Step
- Affordable Excellence
A bachelor's degree is the first step toward a career in the health professions, as well as an accomplishment in its own right. At Lehman, a tradition of close interaction between faculty and students, quality teaching, and cutting-edge research and scholarship provide a strong foundation for professional work. We offer courses in more than fifty disciplines, including:
- Sciences such as biology, chemistry, and physics. The rigorous courses provide a necessary grounding for the health professions. Advanced courses allow for more in-depth study, while research opportunities allow undergraduates to experience the excitement of scientific work first-hand.
- Social sciences such as anthropology, psychology, sociology, and economics, and studies in particular cultures including African and African American, Judaic, Italian-American, Latin American, and Puerto Rican. As medical professions increasingly stress treating patients as more than just a collection of symptoms, these courses provide important context.
- Humanities and fine arts such as philosophy and theater. These courses can both improve communications skills and help future professional think about "the big questions," including medical ethics and issues surrounding end-of-life care.
- Vocationally-oriented disciplines such as business administration, social work, and journalism. These fields can combine with a professional degree for powerful synergies.
- Allied health fields such as exercise science, public health, nursing, and dietetics, food, and nutrition.
Here are some of the medical schools (M.D.) our students got in to last year:
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Top en for Lehman admissions)
- Boston University School of Medicine (Top ten for Lehman admissions)
- Drexel University College of Medicine
- Duke University School of Medicine
- Geisel School of Medicine (Dartmouth)
- Harvard Medical School
- Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Hofstra University (Top ten for Lehman admissions)
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (Top ten for Lehman admissions)
- Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
- New York Medical College (Top ten for Lehman admissions)
- New York University School of Medicine (Top ten for Lehman admissions)
- The Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
- Stony Brook University School of Medicine (Top ten for Lehman admissions)
- SUNY Downstate College of Medicine (Top ten for Lehman admissions)
- SUNY Upstate Medical University (Top ten for Lehman admissions)
- Tufts University School of Medicine
- University of California at San Francisco School of Medicine
- Weill Cornell Medical College (Top ten for Lehman admissions)
- Yale School of Medicine
- And many more!
New York Institute of Technology College of Medicine
Lehman College is proud to announce two new affiliation agreements with the NYIT College of Medicine!
- Freshmen who enter Lehman with strong academic credentials and maintain them throughout their first three years can apply to the NYIT College of Medicine for entry after their junior year through the 7-year Pre-Med/Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program, saving a year off the conventional route!
- Juniors with strong academic credentials can receive an interview with NYIT College of Medicine, bypassing the usual application process, through the Admissions Early Interview Program.
SUNY-Downstate Medical Center
Lehman College sophomores or juniors who are educationally or financially disadvantaged can apply to the medical track of the Early Medical Education program. If accepted, students will attend special summer sessions at Downstate for three consecutive years. Students in this program who maintain strong academic standards will receive guaranteed admission in to Downstate medical school.
Professional schools, including medical schools, increasingly seek applicants who have experience with people from a diverse set of cultures and backgrounds. At Lehman, you'll take courses with students from a diverse set of backgrounds and identities, including international students from sixty different countries. Working with people with a wide variety of ethnicities, sexual orientations, religions, and socioeconomic statuses will improve your chances of getting in to the professional school of your choice and make you a better health care professional. Not to mention how much fun it is to learn with and from such diverse colleagues!
The Office of Pre-Health Advising provides support to our students at every step, from selecting a profession to preparing for an interview.See the Our Services page for more information.
Because Lehman College is part of the City University of New York, tuition is affordable. The rate is even lower for residents of New York State!