Resources for Faculty
If you are a Lehman faculty member, the Instructional Support Services Program’s (ISSP) professional staff can provide valuable supplementary services for your class, such as the following:
- In-class workshops (or separately scheduled workshops) on a range of topics, such as study skills, writing research papers, MLA and APA format, etc. Please feel free to request a workshop topic.
- Individual consultations, and follow-up, with students in need of targeted academic support.
For further information, please contact Ms. Althea Forde, Director of ISSP, at email@example.com.
Encouraging Students to use the Services of the ISSP
There are a number of ways faculty can encourage students to use the services of the ISSP, including the following:
- Inform students about us in your syllabi.
- Tell students about us in your classes.
- Remind students of email announcements regarding our workshops, and other resources.
- Invite us to conduct a brief interactive in-class information session (10-15 minutes).
If you wish to inform your class of the ISSP’s services, you may include the blurb below on your syllabus. If you communicate with your students via email or Blackboard, please consider providing this information in class and in writing:
"The Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) and the Science Learning Center (SLC) are two of the tutoring centers on campus. The ACE provides appointment based and drop-in tutoring in the humanities, social sciences, and writing, as well as general writing skills and academic skills workshops. The SLC provides drop-in tutoring for natural and computer science courses. To obtain more information about the ACE and the SLC, please visit their website, or please call the ACE at 718-960-8175, and the SLC at 718-960-7707. I encourage you to take advantage of the support available to you through the ACE and SLC."
Experience shows us that students' academic success is most enhanced when they take charge of their own learning and seek the support they need. We recognize that faculty see the need to encourage certain students in particular to seek tutoring, and we support that as well.
Faculty often call us with questions and ideas for collaboration; we invite you to do so, too!
- Althea Forde
- Marisol Jimenez
- Lisa Estreich
Writing and Literacy Coordinator
- Ainsley Parkinson
Science Learning Center Coordinator
- Maria Ramnarayan
Supplemental Instruction Coordinator
Last modified: Aug 10, 2016