Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Give to Lehman

Lehman College


Information for Current Students

Does the graduate program have a student association?

Yes. Lehman College is a member of the National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association (NSSLHA). The Lehman NSSLHA chapter has both undergraduate and graduate student members.

How do I register for graduate classes?

You must meet with your adviser during the pre-registration period. If you have not pre-registered, the computerized registration system will not permit you to register for classes.

Can my adviser sign me up for a clinic section of my choice?

No. In order to register for clinical practicum, you will be issued a Pre-Registration link by the Director of the Speech and Hearing Center. Generally, clinic sections are assigned based on students' preparation (completed academic coursework). However, the Director may consider other factors in the determination of a student's assignment to a particular clinic section.

Can I contact agencies to set up an external clinical practicum assignment?

Absolutely not. It is not appropriate for students to contact any school, hospital, or agency directly. The appropriateness of external clinical practicum sites is determined by the Externship Coordinator, the faculty together with the Director of Clinical Education and Clinical Services. A formal agreement must be generated and approved by the legal representatives of both the external site and the CUNY's Legal Department. Clinic liaisons and assignments are made only by the Externship Coordinator in conjunction with the Director of Clinical Eduation and Clinical Services.

Can I work as a speech-language pathologist while pursuing my master's degree?

No. Only those professionals who have met the requirements for state licensure can call themselves speech-language pathologists. While there may be some opportunities for individuals holding teacher certification to work as Teachers of Students with Speech-Language Disabilities (TSSLD) in educational settings, it is recommended that you focus on your graduate studies once enrolled in the program

Can I pursue a Master's Degree part-time?

Yes. While it is recommended that you enroll in full-time study, enrollment as a part-time student is possible. Although you must maintain a minimum of 3 credits per semester to maintain graduate student status, we recommend that students enroll in a minimum of six credits per semester in order to be eligible for the initial clinical practicum assignment after one year.

When can I plan to take the PRAXIS Examination?

It is recommended that you do not take the PRAXIS examination before your last semester of study. More information