Faculty: Dr. Alison Behrman
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: 718-960-7308
Office: Speech Building, Room 229A
Rank: Assistant Professor
Degrees: B.A., University of Michigan, M.A., New York University, Ph.D., Columbia University
Undergraduate and Graduate Education
Institution Degree & Major
- University of Michigan B.A., Linguistics
- New York University M.A. Speech-Language Pathology
- Columbia University Ph.D. Speech Science
Professional/clinical certificates and population(s) that you work with:
- CCC-SLP, New York State Certification
- Adults: voice disorders, motor speech disorders, and accent management
Grants/ Honors/ Fellowships Received:
- 2017 – 2020: NIH/NIGMS 1SC2 GM 116714-01A1 (Principal Investigator: “Rhythmic entrainment in bilingual speakers with dysarthria”
- 2016 – 2017: ASHA Clinical Research Grant: “The clear speech benefit in Spanish-accented speakers of American English”
- 2016-2017 PSC CUNY Round 47 Enhanced Award The effect of clear speech on listener perception in Spanish-accented speakers of American English
- March, 2014: Awarded invitation to ASHA’s Clinical Practice Research Institute
- 2003-2006 NIDCD/NIH R03 DC006660-01A1 (Principal Investigator) Efficacy of Voice Therapy for Vocal Fold Nodules
- Motor speech disorders
- Nonnative accents
- Behrman, A. (in press). A clear speech approach to accent management. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology.
- Behrman, A. (2017). Intelligibility in accent management. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, SIG 19, 2 (Part 1).
- Behrman, A., & Akhund, A. (2016). The effect of loud voice and clear speech on the use of vocal fry in women. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 68, 159-166.
- Behrman, A. (2014). Segmental and prosodic approaches to accent management. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology.
- Behrman, A., & Akhund, A. (2013). The influence of semantic context on the perception of Spanish-accented American English. Journal of Speech, Language, Hearing Research, 56, 1567-1578.
- Folkins, J., Behrman, A., Self, T., & Scudder, R. (2012) A Wiki to Support Teaching the Course: Introduction to Communication Sciences and Disorders. Perspectives in Higher Education, June.
- Behrman, A., Rutledge, J., Hembree, A., & Sheridan, S. (2008). Voice hygiene education, voice
production therapy, and the role of patient adherence. A treatment effectiveness study. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 51, 350-366.
- Behrman, A. (2006). Facilitating behavioral change in voice therapy: The relevance of Motivational Interviewing. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 15, 1-11.
- Sulica, L., Behrman, A., & Roark, R. (2005). Inspiratory maneuver: A simple method to assess the superficial lamina propria during endoscopy. Journal of Voice, 19, 481-484.
- Behrman, A. (2005). Common practices of voice therapists in the evaluation of patients. Journal of Voice, 19, 454-469.
- Behrman, A., Sulica, L., & He, T. (2004). Factors predicting patient perception of dysphonia due
to benign vocal fold lesions. Laryngoscope, 114, 1693-1700.
- Behrman, A., & Sulica, L. (2003). Voice rest after microlaryngoscopy. Current Opinion and Practice. Laryngoscope, 113, 2182-2186.
- Sulica, L., & Behrman, A. (2003). Management of benign vocal fold lesions: A survey of current opinion and practice. Annals of Otology, Rhinology, & Laryngology, 112, 827-833.
- Behrman, A., Dahl, L., Abramson, A.L., & Schutte, H. (2003). Anterior-posterior and medial compression of the supraglottis: signs of non-organic dysphonia or normal postures? Journal of Voice, 17, 403-410.
- Behrman, A., Shikowitz, M.H., & Daily, S. (2002). Effects of Upper Airway Surgery on Vocal Quality, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 127, 36-42.
- Bloch, I., & Behrman, A. (2001). Quantitative analysis of videostroboscopic images in presbylarynges. Laryngoscope, 111, 2022-2027.
- Behrman, A. (1999). Global and local dimensions of vocal dynamics. Journal Acoustical Society of America,105, 432-443.
- Behrman, A., Agresti, C., Blumstein, E., & Lee, N. (1998). Microphone and electroglottographic signals from dysphonic patients: Type 1, 2 and 3 signals. Journal of Voice, 12, 249-260.
- Behrman, A., & Orlikoff, R.F. (1997). Instrumentation in voice assessment and treatment: What’s the use? American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 6, 9-16.
- Behrman, A., & Baken, R. (1997). Dimension analysis of electroglottographic data from healthy and pathologic subjects. Journal of Acoustical Society of America, 102, 2371-2379.
- Behrman, A., Agresti, C., & Blumstein, E., & Sharma, G. (1996). Meaningful features of voice range profiles from patients with organic vocal fold pathology. Journal of Voice, 10, 269-283.
Books and Book Chapters
- Behrman, A. (2017). Speech and Voice Production, 3rd edition. San Diego: Plural Publishing, Inc.
- Behrman, A. (2014). Conversational voice therapy. In J. C. Stemple & E. Hapner (Eds.), Voice Therapy: Clinical case studies (4th ed.). San Diego: Plural Publishing.
- Behrman, A. and Haskell, J. (eds.) (2013) Exercises for Voice Therapy, 2nd edition. San Diego: Plural Publishing, Inc.
- Behrman, A. (2012). Fostering patient compliance by nurturing clinical expertise in graduate school. In R. Goldfarb (Ed.), Translational Research in Speech-Language Pathology (pp. 75-84). San Diego: Plural Publishing.
- Behrman A. (2004). Evidence-Based Treatment of Paralytic Dysphonia: Making Sense of Outcomes and Efficacy Data. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America, 37, 75-104.7. Lectures: Presentations (recent selected)
- Behrman, A., & Neel, T. (2016). Accent Management: Approaches, Evidence, and Outcomes. Two-hour oral session at the National Convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Philadelphia, PA (November 17, 2016).
- Huberman, L, Pancila, D., Behrman, A., (2015). Does Clear Speech Enhance Phrase Intelligibility in Spanish-Accented Speakers of American English? American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Denver, CO. (November 13, 2015).
- Efremenkova, L., Volney, D. , Behrman, A. (2015). Vowel Intelligibility of Clear Speech in Spanish Speakers of American English. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Denver, CO. (November 13, 2015).
- Behrman, A. (2013). How to Conduct Prosodic Training for Accent Management. Clinical Technical Session presented at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Chicago: November, 2013.
- Van Leer, E., Behrman, A., & Hapner, E.R. (2013). Promoting adherence in voice therapy: Theory, evidence, and practical techniques. Invited session by the Subcommittee on Voice and Resonance, presented at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Chicago: November, 2013.
- Lincoln, G., & Behrman, A. (2013). Quantitative, ToBI, and perceptual measures of intonation. Poster presentation at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Chicago: November, 2013.
- Behrman, A. (2013). Why Voice Therapy Patients Should Learn Public Speaking Skills.” Keynote address at the Pittsburgh Voice Conference, April 19, 2013. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Behrman, A., & Akhund, A. (2012). The Influence of Semantic Context on the Perception of Spanish-Accented American English. Presented at International Clinical Phonetics and Linguistics Association, June 27, 2012, Cork, Ireland.
- O’Halloran, E. & Behrman, A. (2012). Perception of Accent and Ease of Understanding of Accented English. Presented at International Clinical Phonetics and Linguistics Association, June 27, 2012, Cork, Ireland.
- Speech and Hearing Science
- Speech Science
- Motor Speech Disorders
- Voice Disorders
- Speech and Voice of American English