- Peekskill New York
Date of Graduation from Lehman
- June 2005
Type of degree/major/specialization/certificate
- B.A. Geography/Political Science Dual majors, minor in U.S. History, GISc Certificate, 2004
Subsequent degrees earned or in progress
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning 2012 Master’s Degree in Public Administration June 2015
Title of thesis/dissertation/or capstone project
- 1yr Capstone MUP thesis at Hunter College studying the riding behavior of cyclists in Flushing and Corona in Queens and submitting recommendations to the NYC Department of Transport.
Positions held since graduating
- FDNY, Solomon Fellow 2014-15, Circlepix real estate photography 2008 -2010, full time stay at home Dad 2010-14
Type of work you do there
Social Media Emergency Preparedness Specialist; Looking at what role social media can play in Emergency preparedness. In the wake of Hurricane Sandy Social Media can play a larger role in the dissemination of information to people be it people asking questions or pushing out time critical information to people who need it.
Specific accomplishments of which you are most proud
Being a GIS tutor is a fond memory. I really felt that my time doing this was important to others and that I helped them in a small way, to complete their studies.
Geography or GISc activities/accomplishments/awards/internships/publications
- 2004 GIS Internship with NYC Dept. of Recreation Summer Internship under Peter Carlo.
Overall assessment of how Lehman’s EEGS Program prepared you for your current life
Comments on the EEGS Dept Program you were enrolled in: When I went to my Urban Planning degree it was essential to know GIS, how to create maps and understand the meaning behind a map. Perhaps most importantly is where to find the data to display on a map. I really enjoyed my time in the program. Every time I am presented with a mapping assignment or am needed to examine a map I have the confidence that I have had the best possible education and the skills required to complete what is asked of me. This is due to Lehman College’s Department of Earth, Environmental, and Geospatial Sciences
Now as I apply for jobs in Emergency Preparedness I think the GIS education I received from Lehman is really important. Every skill learned in life is important but I hold my GIS experience at Lehman in high regard and I think potential employers do too.
What else have you been up to?
My wife and I have adopted two boys since I finished at Lehman; I have visited 27 of the 30 baseball parks in the Major Leagues and hope to see the rest soon.