New CST(s) Update Information
THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT/THE UNIVERSITY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK/ALBANY, NY 12234
NYSTCE Updates on Content Specialty Test Preparation Guides:
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is pleased to announce that the preparation guides, along with updated test frameworks and other useful information for test preparation, are now available on the New York State Teacher Certification Examination website at http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_prepare_opener.asp for the Content Specialty Tests (CSTs) listed below:
Anticipated Open Registration Date - August 21, 2014
First Administration Date - September 22, 2014
|Test Field||Link to Preparation Guide|
|English Language Arts||http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_PM.asp?t=003|
|Multi-Subject Teachers of Early Childhood (Birth-Grade 2)||http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_PM.asp?t=211|
|Multi-Subject Teachers of Childhood (Grade 1 - Grade 6)||http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_PM.asp?t=221|
|Multi-Subject Teachers of Middle Childhood (Grade 5 - Grade 9)||http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_PM.asp?t=231|
|Multi-Subject Secondary Teachers (Grade 7 - Grade 12)||http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_PM.asp?t=241|
Candidates taking one of the CSTs listed above on or after September 22, 2014, must take the revised CST examination for certification. Registration for the revised CSTs is anticipated to begin on August 21, 2014. The administration of these more rigorous examinations will begin on September 22, 2014. Candidates should register and prepare for the revised CST examinations with these dates in mind, as the prior versions of these CST’s will no longer be available.
Please note: When the revised Multi-Subject tests are implemented, candidates will need to pass each of the three sections of the assessment, (the Math, the English Language Arts and general knowledge sections will be scored separately) to meet the certification requirements.
Candidates who are working towards the Students with Disabilities Grades 7-12 Generalist certification will be required to take the Multi-Subject: Secondary Teachers (Grade 7 – Grade 12) examination once it is becomes available on September 22, 2014. These candidates are not eligible to use the current Multi-Subject Content Specialty Test (CST) (002) for this certification.
MS - CST Prep Workshops
FREE CST-Multi-Subject Test Preparation Workshops For Lehman College School of Education students and alumni ONLY!
For more information contact Michael Shapiro and let him know you are a Lehman Education student:
Phone: (718) 960-7861
Lehman College Office Hours (Carman Hall, B54) are generally on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 12-6 all year long.
About the Instructor:
Dr. Michael Shapiro coordinates the Leap To Teacher program at Lehman College. He has provided New York State teacher certification exam preparation workshops at Lehman, other CUNY sites, the NYC DoE and elsewhere for many years. If you have any questions, concerns or issues with any aspect of your preparation, please contact Dr. Shapiro.
Welcome to Lehman College’s Multi-Subject CST Exam Prep Workshop. This workshop is designed to help you prepare to take the Multi-Subject CST exam so you can do your best to be successful. The following documents contain much useful prep and practice material. Go at your own pace. Keep in mind that the more you are diligent with your practice and preparation, the better you should do on the exam.
Complete Prep Workbook
This module contains the complete Multi-Subject CST prep workbook. It is very comprehensive and interactive. It covers all aspects of the exam – multiple choice and writing.
- Introduction and Overview: This chapter provides an overview of the CST, what to expect, how to prepare, its challenges, formats and scoring system.
- Written Response Chapter: This chapter contains sample Written Response prompts, a model being successful. Examples and several practice prompts that you can do and then email to Dr. Shapiro for his review and feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Multiple Choice Intro and Overview: This chapter provides a methodology for doing your multiple choice practice as well as helpful guidelines.
- Mixed Subjects MC Practice 1: This chapter (and the next 4) contains typical multiple choice questions in which different subjects are mixed as is done on the exam. Note that an answer key is provided for each question that provides detailed information about the topic of the question. So don’t just look to see if you got the correct answer. Read the answer key to learn more!
- Language, Literature and Writing MC Practice: This chapter (and the next 7) contains typical multiple choice questions on a subject-by-subject basis. This should help you determine where to concentrate your knowledge acquisition.
- Visual Based Questions: This contains questions that are based on the visual presentation of information such charts, graphs and drawings. These kinds of questions can apply to all broad subject areas.
Reference and Study Material
This module contains material for you to brush up on concepts, facts, names etc. pertaining to the broad subject areas covered on the CST.
- Subjects and Topics: This is a list of subjects and topics that tend to be addressed on the CST. You should know SOMETHING about each of them.
- Test Your Knowledge: This is an alphabetic list of terms, people etc. that you should have some familiarity with – that is, if you came across them when reading something, you should have some idea of what is meant. See how many you know and then fill in the blanks.
- Model Questions: How much are you expected to know about, say, Charles Dickens or the U.S. Constitution? Read and find out.
- English Language Arts: This (and the files below contain study and reference material by broad subject area. Use it as you see fit.
- Literature and Arts
- Ancient History
- World History
- American History
- New York History
- Social Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Health and Fitness
XAM Study Guide and Online MC Practice
Learn about the XAM publishing company’s CST study guide and online multiple choice practice module.
Last modified: Jul 15, 2014