M.S.Ed. Program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
This program is designed for students seeking a master's degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). It can also provide initial New York State certification in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) for teachers (Pre-K-Grade 12), or additional ESOL certification for those already certified. Holders of this master's degree can obtain professional certification in ESOL upon completion of additional requirements. Applicants will apply for one of the following 5 sequences based on their qualifications:
- Sequence 1 (30 credits). Students who already possess New York State certification and who seek additional certification as teachers of ESOL PreK-grade 12.
- Sequence 2 (39-42 credits). Liberal arts and sciences graduates who lack education courses and who seek initial certification in ESOL PreK-grade 12.
- Sequence 3 (30-33 credits). Teachers and prospective teachers of adult education and others who desire advanced study in TESOL but are not seeking Pre-K-grade 12 certification.
- Sequence 4 (30 credits). Liberal arts and sciences graduates who have met requirements for linguistics, general education, and special education through prior coursework and who seek certification in ESOL PreK-grade 12.
- Sequence 5 (36 credits). Teachers who hold a valid Transitional B certificate in ESOL from New York State.
Visit the Graduate Bulletin (2017 - 2019) to learn about: