Sean Stein Smith
Office: Carman Hall, Room 266
- D.B.A., Capella Univ.
- M.B.A., Fairleigh Dickinson Univ.
- M.S., Fairleigh Dickinson Univ.
- B.S., Fairleigh Dickinson Univ.
Dr. Stein Smith is an Assistant Professor in the Business and Economics department. Before transitioning to academia full time, beginning with his appointment to a faculty position at Rutgers University, he worked in several corporate financial planning and accounting roles in both the for-profit and non-profit sectors. Dr. Stein Smith is actively engaged in the accounting community, having been awarded the NJCPA 30 under 30 in 2015, the Institute of Management Accountants Young Professional of the Year Award in 2016, and currently serves on the Fairleigh Dickinson University Alumni Association Board of Governors. Sean is also a member of the 2017 Class of the AICPA Leadership Academy.
His research interests and areas of expertise include integrated financial reporting, non-financial reporting, and the intersection of technology, strategic planning, and accounting. Dr. Stein Smith is a contributor to Thrive Global, publishes a weekly column for Inc.com, and is a member of the NJCPA Content Advisory Board, where he is routinely featured in the state society magazine. As a member of the AICPA Financial Literacy Commission, he has been quoted, interviewed, and recorded in numerous regional and national publications on personal finance issues.
- Common Sense Finance: Finance for Individuals and Entrepreneurs. (2018). Business Expert Press.
- Strategic Management Accounting: Delivering Value in a Changing Business Environment Through Integrated Reporting. (2017). Business Expert Press.
- The Effect of Integrated Financial Reporting On Financial Performance. (2016). Lambert Press.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Emerging Challenges in Business, Optimization, Technology, and Industry. Springer Proceedings of the 2017 International Business Conference. Book Chapter. (Fall 2017).
- International Research Journal of Applied Finance. Accounting Analytics – An Opportunity for Stakeholder Reporting and Improved Policy Decisions (Fall 2017).
- International Journal of Research Studies in Educational Technology. Using technology in business education. (March 2017).
- Journal of Business & Economic Policy - Integrated Financial Reporting & Management Accounting – An Opportunity for Strategic Leadership. (March 2017).
- Internal Journal of Business and Social Science. Strategic Management Accounting – A Strategic Role for Accountancy. (February 2017).
- Journal of Business Management and Invention. Accountant as Strategist. (January 2017).
- IOSR Journal in Business and Management – Strategy In A Digitally Disrupted Environment (October 2016).
- Inc.com “Common Sense Finance” – Weekly Column on Finance
- Monthly Contributor to Thrive Global
- Experian Credit Chat, in coordination with the AICPA – June 2017 link
- AICPA 360 Degrees of Financial Literacy – College Costs – April 2017 link
- International Federation of Accountants – Integrated Reporting – April 2017 link
- PICPA Podcast – CPA Conversations – Fake News and Its Effect on Financial Literacy – March 2017 link
- Financial Management Network (Division of Smart Pros) – November 2016 link#1 link#2
Selected Other Publications
- NJCPA Magazine - How CPAs Can Go Global (July/August 2017)
- Accounting Web – 3 Skills CPAs Can Sharpen Over the Summer (June 2017)
- Strategic Finance – CMAs, Financial Literacy, and Business Strategy (April 2017)
- NJBIZ – 5 Finance Concepts Millennial Entrepreneurs Need to Know (April 2017)
- NJCPA Magazine – Leveraging Data – How CPAs Can Make Better Decisions (March/April 2017)
- Accounting Today – Keeping Millennial Accountants Engaged (April 2017)
- IFAC – Auditing in the Era of the Integrated Thinking (February 2017)
- Millennialeadership.com – Key Tips To Help Supercharge Your Finances (February 2017)
- Accounting Web – CPAs, Fake News, and Financial Literacy (February 2017)
- BizEd (published by AACSB) – Creating a Rich Online Learning Environment – January 2017
- NJCPA Magazine – Non-GAAP Measures in Financial Planning (January 2017)
- Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey – Technology That Is Good For Business (January 2017)
- Accounting Web – How Firms Can Develop a Path to Leadership for Millennials (December 2016)
- Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey – Financial Literacy for Business (December 2016)
- NJCPA Magazine – Non-GAAP Financial Information – What’s In A Number (November/December 2016)
- International Federation of Accounting – Integrated Reporting: An Emerging Opportunity (November 2016)
- Accounting Today – The Accounting Pivot (October 2016)
- Journal of Accountancy – 4 ways accountants can get more out of social media –September 2016
- How CPAs can add value through integrated reporting – AccountingWeb – September 2016
- NJCPA Magazine – What Got You Here Won’t Get Your There (September/October 2016)
- Strategic Finance – Leveraging Online Learning (August 2016)
- NJCPA – The CPAs Role In Business Process Management - (July 2016)