Dene Hurley, Ph.D.
Office: Carman Hall, Room 370
- Ph.D. in Economics, Northeastern University
- MSc. in Development Studies/Economics, University of Bath, Bath, U.K.
- BSc. in Economics, The City University, London, U.K.
Recent articles published in refereed journals:
- Hurley, Dene and Papanikolaou, Nikolaos. 2018. “An Investigation of China‐U.S. Bilateral Trade and Exchange Rate Changes Using the Autoregressive Distributed Lag Model.” Economic Papers: A Journal of Applied Economics and Policy, 37(2), June 2018.
- Hurley, Dene and Amod Choudhary. 2016. “Factors influencing attainment of CEO positions for women.” Gender in Management: An International Journal, 31, 4, pp. 250-261.
- Lebbon, A. R., & Hurley, Dene. 2013. “The Effects of Workplace Leisure Behavior on Work-Related Behavior.” Journal of Behavioral Studies in Business, 6, pp.1-18.
- Hurley, Dene and Lebbon, Angela. August 2012. “A Comparison of Nonfatal Occupational Injuries and Illnesses Among Hispanic Versus Non-Hispanic Workers In The United States.” Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 34 (3), pp. 474-490.
- Gonzalez-Corzo, Mario and Hurley, Dene. Spring 2012. “Trends and Determinants of Hispanic Buying Power: A Comparison of U.S. and New York State Under Published proceeding paper.” Journal of Contemporary Business Issues, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 58-71.
- Hurley, Dene. June 2010. “A Generalized Impulse Response Investigation of U.S. Long and Short-Term Interest Yields and Asian Holdings of U.S. Treasuries.” Journal of International and Global Economic Studies, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 68-86.
- Hurley, Dene. December 2009. “Linkages among U.S. Interest Rates and East Asian Purchases of U.S. Treasury Securities.” Global Economic Journal, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 397-408.
- Hurley, Dene. July 2009. “A VAR Analysis of US-China Economic Linkages.” International Business and Economic Research Journal, Vol. 8, No. 7, pp. 69-79.
Published proceeding papers:
- Wilder, Esther Isabelle, Elin Waring, Frank Wang and Dene Hurley. 2013. “The Key Components of a Numeracy Infusion Course for Higher Education (NICHE): Using Best Practices to Train Faculty.” Proceedings of the 2013 Joint Statistical Meetings, Alexandria, Virginia: American Statistical Association.
- Hurley, Dene and Santos, Rolando. October 2010. “An Investigation of the Effects of Asian Purchases of U.S. Treasuries on Asian Bilateral Exchange Rates.” Conference Proceedings of Northeast Business and Economic Association, pp. 185-189
Conference presentations in recent years:
- Northeast Business and Economic Association Conference, October 27, 2017, Port Jefferson, NY. “Gender Differences in Capital Investments Decisions by Chief Financial Officers (CFOs).” [with Amod Choudhary]
- Eastern Economic Association 43rd Annual Conference, February 24, 2017, New York, New York. "An Investigation of China-U.S. Bilateral Trade and Exchange Rate Changes Using Nonlinear ARDL Model." [with Nikolaos Papanikolaou].
- The New York State Economic Association 69th Annual Conference, October 8, 2016, Farmingdale, NY. "Relationship between Trade Balance and Exchange Rate Changes: The China-U.S. Case." [with Nikolaos Papanikolaou]
- Northeast Business and Economic Association Conference, November 7, 2015, Jamaica, NY. "An Examination of Gender Differences in Mobility of C-Suite Officers to the CEO Position." [with Amod Choudhary]
- Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, February 5, 2015, Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center, VA. "A Model Faculty Development Program for Best Practices in Quantitative Reasoning Instruction." [with Esther Wilder and Elin Waring]
- Eastern Economic Association 40th Annual Conference, March 8, 2014, Boston, MA. “Nonlinear Panel Data Analysis of Non-fatal Occupational Injuries and Illnesses among Female Hispanic Workers across U.S. States.” [With Angela Lebbon, and Tzuhao Huang]
- Ninth Annual CUE Conference on Transformations in Teaching and Learning: Research and Evidence Based Practices at CUNY, May 10. 2013, John Jay College-CUNY, NY, NY. “Improving Quantitative Reasoning.” [With Esther Wilder, Frank Wang, and Elin Waring]
- Fall 2012 National Numeracy Network (NNN) Conference, October 12-13, 2012, NY, NY. “Numeracy Infusion Course for Higher Education (NICHE).” [With Esther Wilder, Frank Wang, and Elin Waring]
- 2012 Global Conference on Business and Finance, The Institute for Business and Finance Research, May 22-15, 2012, San Jose, Costa Rica. An Investigation on the Effects of Employees’ Workplace Leisure Behavior on Employee Productivity. [With Angela Lebbon]
- 2011 Association for Behavior Analysis International, May 27-31, 2011, Denver, Co.
“ An Area for Behavior Analysts: Nonfatal Occupational Injuries and Illnesses Involving Days Away from Work Among Minorities and Caucasians.” [With Angela Lebbon]
- 2011 Eastern Economic Association (EEA) Conference, February 26, 2011, New York. Session: Ethnic Economic Issues (G4):
- Dene Hurley, and Angela Lebbon. “An Analysis of Nonfatal Occupational Injuries and Illnesses among Hispanic Workers in the United States.”
- Dene Hurley and Mario Gonzalez-Corzo. “An Investigation of Hispanic Buying Power and its Impact for New York State.”
- 2010 Northeast Business and Economic Association Conference, October 2010, Morristown, NJ. “An investigation of the Effect of Asian Purchases of U.S. Treasuries on Asian Bilateral Exchange Rates.” [With Rolando Santos]
- 2010 New York State Economic Association Conference, September 25, 2010, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY. “Hispanic Buying Power in New York State: Trends and Characteristics.” [With Mario González-Corzo]
- 2010 New York State Economic Association Conference, September 25, 2010, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY. Discussant for a paper titled “Wages, Education and Race: Measuring Wage Differentials for Native Americans” by David Burnette et al., of Rochester Institute of Technology, Session 2-C: Labor Economics, Demography and Economic Geography.
- 2009 Midwest Economic Association Conference, March 21, 2009, Cleveland, Ohio. “The Impact of Asian Purchases of US Treasuries on the Asian/Dollar Exchange Rate.” [With Rolando Santos]