Judith M. Fields, Ph.D.
Office: Carman Hall, Room 383
Phone Number: 718.960.8384
- 1984 - present
City University of New York,
Lehman College, Economics Department
Assistant Professor (tenured)
- 1998 - present
Institute for Women's Policy Research,
Washington, D.C., Consultant
- 1998 - present
New Jersey Policy Perspective, West
Trenton, N.J., Research associate
New York University, Interactive Cable TV Project for Social Services
National Urban League,
New York, N.Y.
Publications and Research Reports
- An Examination of Changes in the Distribution of Income and Earnings in New Jersey Between the 1980's and the 1990's, New Jersey Policy Perspective, West Trenton, N.J.
- "Gender Wage Differentials, Affirmative Action, Employment Growth on the Industry Level," co-author, Edward N. Wolff, The Jerome Levy Economics Institute Working Paper, May, 1997.
- "Interindustry Wage Differentials and the Gender Wage Gap," co-author, Edward N. Wolff, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, October 1995, (49) 1, 105-120.
- "Ivy League Bonus Babies," Scientific American, November 1993, (268) 5, 104-106."Why do some Industries Pay Better ?" Scientific American, May 1993, (268) 5, 131.
- "Will Deregulation Save the Banks?" Scientific American, August 1993, (269) 5, 117-118.
- "The Decline of Sex Segregation and the Wage Gap," co‑author, Edward N. Wolff, The Journal of Human Resources, 1991, (26), 608‑622."Changes in Industrial Composition and the Rela‑tive Earnings of Female Workers, 1970‑1980," co-author, Edward N. Wolff, Economic Research Report, C.V. Starr Center For Applied Economics, New York University, R.R. #89‑04, March 1989.
- "The Impact of Industry Mix on the Demand for Female Labor and Female Earnings" (Ph.D. dissertation, New York University, 1984).
- Economic Evaluation of the Output of the Reading Interactive Cable System, National Science Foundation (APR 75‑14311, 1978).
- "A Comparison of Intercity Differences in the Labor Force Participation Rates of Married Women in 1970 with 1940, 1950 and 1960, "The Journal of Human Resources, Fall 1976, (11), 568-577.
- Income Maintenance - The N.U.L. Position, National Urban League, New York, 1975.
- Ph.D. in Economics, New York University
- M.U.P. in Urban Planning, New York University
- B.A. in English, New York University
- "The Impact of Affirmative Action, Industry Growth Rates, and Industry Profits on Industry Wage Premia for Males and Females," presented May 2, 1997 at a Public Policy Conference on Employment and Labor Markets at The Jerome Levy Economics Institute at Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, N.Y.
- "Federal Policy, Employment Growth Rates and the Gender Wage Gap Across Industries," presented March 19, 1993 in "Micro foundations of Macro Policy" at Eastern Economics Association Conference, Washington, D.C.
- "Wage Premia for Male and for Female Workers in Different U.S. Industries," presented December 14, 1991 to New York Women Economists, New York, N.Y.
- "Recent Changes In the Segregation of Female Workers by Industry and Occupation," presented November 20, 1989 at a research seminar, Hunter College, Department of Economics, New York, N.Y.
- "Women's Earnings and the Demand for Skill In U.S. Labor Markets," presented April 1986 at EasternEconomic Association conference, Philadelphia, Pa.
- "Occupational Segregation of Female Workers from 1960 to 1980," presented May 10, 1985 at a conference on Women's Studies, Lehman College, Bronx, N.Y.
Honors and Professional Activites
- Research Associate, The Jerome Levy Economics Institute at Bard College, at present.
- Research Fellow, The Jerome Levy Economics Institute at Bard College, 1993-94.
- Member, American Economic Association, Committee on the Status of Women in the Economics Profession, 1985 to present.
- Member of steering committee, New York Women Economists, 1986 to 1995.
- Otto H. Ehrlich Memorial fund Award for excellence in economic studies and scholarship, for doctoral dissertation, New York University, May, 1984.