Associate Professor, Inorganic Chemistry
Chair of the Inorganic Subdiscipline at The Graduate Center, CUNY
Office: Davis Hall D-103
- B.Sc., University of Bucharest, 1995
- M.Sc., Coordinative compounds, University of Bucharest, 1996
- Ph. D., University of Bucharest, 2001
My entire research was focused generally on materials chemistry mainly on sol-gel processes, monodisperse particles and carbon multiwall nanotubes for advance materials preparation.
At Lehman my research program is focused on:
- Study on inorganic and hybrid Sol-Gel materials with applications in hermetic coatings for electronics such as OLEDS.
- Fundamental study on the mechanism of formation of the hybrid organic-inorganic gels using spectroscopic methods.
- Preparation of oxide mono-disperse particles for targeting of the cancer cell and for Drug Delivery.
- Investigation of the optical properties of oxide thin films prepared by sol-gel.
1. M. Jitianu, A. Jitianu, M. Stamper, D. Aboagye, L. C. Klein “Melting Gel Films for Low Temperature Seals” Accepted to be published in Materials Research Society Proceedings, DOI. http://dx.doi.org/10.1557/opl.2013.506
2. M. Jitianu, DC. Gunness, DE. Aboagye, M. Zaharescu, A. Jitianu, "Nanosized Ni-Al layered double hydroxides - Structural characterization” Materials Research Bulletin, (48), 2013, 1864-1873
3. L.Gambino, A. Jitianu, L.C. Klein, "Dielectric behavior of organically modified siloxane melting gels” Journal Of Non-Crystaline Solids (24), 2012, 3501-3504
4. L. C. Klein and A. Jitianu "Synthesis of Melting Gels using monosubstituted and Di-Substituted Alkoxysilanes“, Material Matters, 7(2), 2012, 8-12
5. A. Jitianu, K. Lammers, G.A. Arbuckle-Kiel, L.C. Klein “Thermal analysis of organically modified siloxane melting gels” Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimethry, 107, 2012, 2039-2045
6. L. Predoana, A. Jitianu, B. Malic, M. Zaharescu “Study of the gelling process in the La-Co-citric acid system "Journal of American Ceramic Society, 95 (3), 2012, 1068-1076
7. L.C. Klein, A. Jitianu, “Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Melting Gels "Journal of the Sol-Gel Science and Technology, 59, 2011, 424-431
8. Yu-Ho Won, D. Aboagye, Ho S. Jang, A. Jitianu, L.A. Stanciu “Core/Shell Nanoparticles as Hybrid Platforms for the Fabrication of a Hydrogen Peroxide Biosensor” Journal of Material Chemistry, 20, 2010, 5030-5034
9. A. Jitianu, J.P. Doyle, G. Ammatuci, Lisa C. Klein, “Methyl modified siloxane melting gels for hydrophobic films”, J. Sol-Gel Sci. Technol. 53, 2010, 272-279.
10. A. Jitianu, M.-S. Kim, D. Andreescu, and D.V. Goia, “A simple preparative route to highly stable dispersions of uniform silver nanoparticles”, Journal of Nanoscience & Nanotechnology – 9 (3), 2009, 1891-1896.
11. A. Jitianu, G. Amatucci, Lisa Klein, Phenyl-Substituted Siloxane Hybrid Gels that Soften below 140oCJournal of the American Ceramic Society – 92 (1), 2009, 36-40.
12. A. Jitianu, G. Amatucci and L.C. Klein “Organic-inorganic Sol-Gel Thick Films for Humidity Barriers” Journal of Materials Research – 23(8), 2008, 2084-2090. 2007
13. O. Siman, A. Jitianu, M. Bele, P. Grom, E. Matijevic, “Amplified light scattering and emission of silver and silver core–silica shell particles” J. Colloid Interf. Sci., 309(1), 2007, 8-20.
14. D. Predoi, O. Crisan, A. Jitianu, M.C. Valsangiacom, M. Raileanu, M. Crisan and M. Zaharescu “Iron oxide in a silica matrix prepared by the sol–gel method” Thin Solid Films, 515 (16), 2007, 6319-6323.
15. A. Jitianu, A. Britchi, V. Badescu, C. Deleanu and M. Zaharescu “Influence of the Alkoxy Group of the Si-Alkoxides on the Sol-Gel Process and on the Structure of the obtained Gels” Rev. Roum. Chim. 52(1-2), 2007, 93-99.
M. Apparicio, A. Jitianu, L.C. Klein “Sol-Gel Processing for Conventional and Alternative Energy” Springer- New York, February, 2012
1. “Sol-Gel Processing for Conventional and Alternative Energy”, “Sol-Gel Packaging for Electrochemical Devices” by A. Jitianu, L. Gambino and L.C. Klein, Edited by M. Apparicio, A. Jitianu, L.C. Klein, Springer, New York, 2012
2. Hybrid nanocomposites for Nanotechnology: Electronic, Optical, Magnetic and Bio/Medical Applications”,
“Sol-Gel Hybrids for Electronic Applications: Hermetic Coatings for Microelectronics, and Energy Storage”, by A. Jitianu, and L.C. Klein , ed. L. Merhari, Springer, New York 2009, p. 429-455
3. Nanoscience and Nanoengineering, "Characterisation of iron oxide nanoparticles in the Fe2O3-SiO2 system, obtained by sol-gel method" by A.Jitianu, M. Crisan, A. Meghea, I. Rau, M. Zaharescu,
Edited by E. Andronescu, D. Dascalu, I. Kleps, L. Pavesi under Romanian Academy Ed., Bucharest 2002, p.19
Selected Papers published in Proceedings and presented at Conferences and Scientific Meetings
1. L. Klein, A. Jitianu, “Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Melting Gels”, (Invited lecture) Proceedings of the International Conference on Sol-gel Process for Advanced Ceramics, Anupuram (Kalpakkam), India, October 11-14, 2009, p1-10
2. A. Jitianu, J. Doyle, G. Amatucci, L. Klein, “Methyl-modified Melting Gels for Hermetic Barrier Coatings” Proceeding at Material Science & Technology, Pittsburgh 2008, p. 2171-2181
1. M. Jitianu, A. Jitianu, M. Stamper, D. Aboagye, L.C. Klein, “Melting Gel Films for Low Temperature Seals”, 2013 Materials Research Symposium, Spring meeting, San-Francisco, April 1-5, 2013
2. A. Jitianu, “Melting Gels for Hydrophobic Coatings”, 244th American Chemical Society National meeting – Philadelphia, August 19-23, 2012, Invited lecture
3. L.C. Klein, L. Gambino, A. Jitianu, A. Safari, M. Hejazi, R. Rivera, “Dielectric Behavior of Organically Modified Siloxane Melting Gels”, The 19th University Conference on Glass Science: Glasses for Energy, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute August 3-5, 2011, Invited lecture
4. L. Klein, A. Jitianu, M. Jitianu “Organically Modified Siloxane Melting Gels” 2011 Glass & Optical Materials Division Annual Meeting; Savannah Georgia, May 15-19, 2011, Invited lecture
5. L. Klein, A. Jitianu, M. Jitianu, “Glass Transition Behavior of Melting Gels” t MS&T-2010 ACerS Sosman Award Symposium: Sol-Gel Fundamentals and Applications, Huston Texas, October 17-21, 2010 Invited lecture
6. L. Gambino, A. Jitianu, L. Klein, ”Sealing Glasses for Applications below 200oC” 2010 Glass & Optical Materials Division Annual Meeting, Corning, May 16-20, 2010.
7. L. Klein, A. Jitianu, “Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Melting Gels”, International Conference on Sol-gel Process for Advanced Ceramics, SGPAC-2009 Anupuram (Kalpakkam), India, October 11-14, 2009. Plenary lecture
8. A. Jitianu, J. Doyle, G. Amatucci, L. Klein, “Methyl-modified Melting Gels for Hermetic Barrier Coatings", MS&T 2008, Material Science & Technology, Pittsburgh (October 5-8, 2008).
1. L. Francisco and A. Jitianu, “Propyl modified Silica based Melting Gels for hermetic barriers applications”, XVII International Sol-gel Conference, Madrid, August 25-30, 2013
2. M. Jitianu S. Dugbatey and A. Jitianu “An alternative approach in synthesis of Mg-Cr double layer hydroxides; Structural Characterization”, XVII International Sol-gel Conference, Madrid, August 25-30, 2013
3. L. Predoana, A. Jitianu, M. Voicescu, N. Apostol, M. Zaharescu “LiCoO2 preparation by aqueous Sol-Gel method. Is still aqueous route a viable pathway for the Sol-Gel community” XVII International Sol-gel Conference, Madrid, August 25-30, 2013
4. L. Klein and A. Jitianu, “Melting gels with mixed substitutions: phenyltriethoxysiloxane (PhTES)-dimethyldiethoxysiloxane (DMDES) gels”, XVII International Sol-gel Conference, Madrid, August 25-30, 2013
5. L.C. Klein, A. Jitianu, “Hybrid Melting Gels in Electronic Packaging” Functional Glasses: Properties and Applications for Energy and Information, January, 6- 11, 2013, Siracusa, Sicily, Italy
6. L. Gambino, L.C. Klein, A. Jitianu, A. Safari, M. Hejazi, R. Rivera, Organically Modified Melting Gels with Low Dielectric Constants, The 19th University Conference on Glass Science: Glasses for Energy, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute August 3-5, 2011
7. D. Aboagye and A. Jitianu, “Fluoro-modified melting gels; new materials for hermetic barriers” ACS 42nd MARM conference, at the Univsrsity of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, May 21-24, 2011
8. M. Jitianu, A. Jitianu, L.C. Klein, “Evaluation of rheological properties of the hybrid organic-inorganic melting gels”, Green Materials: Design, Processes and Applications meeting NJ-ACS , NJIT, Newark, NJ, October 21, 2010 – Awarded as a First place in the poster completion;
9. L. Predoana, A. Jitianu, M. Zaharescu, “Study of the gellifiation process in the La-Co-Citric Acid system”, XV International Sol-Gel Conference Porto de Galinhas- Pernambuco- Brazil 23-27/08/2009
10. A. Franco Junior, T.E.P. Alves A. Jitianu, L.C. Klein, “Room Temperature Ferromagnetism of Fe:ZnO prepapred by sol-gel method”, XV International Sol-Gel Conference Porto de Galinhas- Pernambuco- Brazil 23-27/08/2009
11. L. Gambino, M. Migliaccio, A. Jitianu, and L.C. Klein, “Methyltrimethoxysilane (MTMS) – Dimethyldimethoxysilane (DMDMS) Melting Gels for Sidewall Spacers”, The 69 years the Physical Electronics Conference - on physics and chemistry surfaces and interfaces, June 16-19, 2009
12. M. Migliaccio, L. Gambino, A. Jitianu, G. Amatucci, and L.C. Klein, “Physical Properties of Hybrid Melting Gels”, New York Academy of Science –Soft Materials- Smart material Symposium, April 23, 2009
13. A. Jitianu, J. Doyle, G. Amatucci, L. Klein, “Hybrid Organic-Inorganic Melting Gels and their Hermetic Barrier Properties", Symposium on Functional Packaging Through Chemistry, Organized by the NJ-American Chemical Society—Polymer Topical Group (October 29, 2008).
14. A. Jitianu, John P. Doyle, G. Amatuci, L.C. Klein, “Methyl-modified Melting Gels that Seal below 170ºC” communication submitted to the New York Academy of Science –Soft Materials- Smart material Symposium, April 9, 2008.
Last modified: Sep 14, 2016