Faculty Liesl B. Jones
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: 718-960-8091
Office: Science Hall 3404 (Lab: Science Hall 3401, 718-960-7493)
Degrees and Sources of Degrees: B.S., Fordham Univ.; M.S., Ph.D., Medical Coll. of Penn. / Hahneman Univ., 1997
My career as a graduate student, postdoctoral fellow and now as an Associate Professor has been dedicated to working on disorders that are developmental as their origin.
Current projects in my laboratory are aimed at better understanding the etiology of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia appears to be a neurodevelopmental disorder affecting the dopaminergic and serotonergic systems. My laboratory uses classical and more modern techniques to better understand the changes in different cortical areas that may bring about the disease.
The primary project in the laboratory examines dendritic morphology of projection neurons in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex an area known to be involved in schizophrenia. We use immunohistochemistry as well as tract tracing methods to perform density and three-dimensional morphological analysis of the neurons.
We are also examining Huntington's Chorea using similar techniques. This is an inherited genetic disorder. This is a progressive disease that can manifest itself at any age but is usually seen in adults.
Currently we have developed an animal model to understand how two key brain regions interact during development and how changes in their interactions could lead to schizophrenia.
- Murphy EH., Hammer JG., Schumann MD., Groce MY., Wang XH., Jones L., Romano AG., Harvey JA. (1995) The rabbit as a model for studies of cocaine exposure in utero. Laboratory Animal Science. 45: 163-168.
- Jones L., Fischer I., Levitt P. (1996) Non Uniform alteration of dendritic development in the cerebral cortex following prenatal cocaine exposure. Cerebral Cortex. 6:431-445.
- Levitt P., Reinoso B., and Jones L. (1998) The critical impact of early cellular environment on neuronal development. Preventive Med. 27:180-183.
- Byne W, Lasco MS, Kemether E, Akbar Shinwari, Edgar MA, Morgello S, Jones LB, Tobet S. (2000) The interstitial nuclei of the human anterior hypothalamus: an investigation of sexual variation in volume and cell size, number and density. Brain Res. 856:254-8.
- Jones L., Stanwood G., Reinosos B., Wang HY., Friedman E., Levitt P. (2000) Cocaine-induced dysfunction of dopamine D1 receptor signaling in-utero regulates differentiation of cerebral cortical neurons. J. Neurosci. 20:4606-4614.
- Byne W., Tobet S., Mattiace L., Lasco M., Kemether E., Edgar M., Morgello S., Buchsbaum M., and Jones LB., (2001), The interstitial nucleus of the human anterior hypothalamus: An investigation of variation with sex, sexual orientation and HIV Status. Hormones and Behavior. 40(2):86-92.
- Jones LB., (2001). Recent cytoarchitechtonic changes in the prefrontal cortex of schizophrenics. Frontiers in Bioscience. 6:E148-E153.
- Byne W., Buchsbaum MS., Kemether E., Purohit P., Haroutunian V., Jones L. (2002) Postmortem assessment of thalamic nuclear volumes in schizophrenia. American J. Psych. 159(1):59-65.
- Jones L., Johnson N., Byne W., (2002) Alterations in MAP2 staining in area 9 and 32 of schizophrenic prefrontal cortex. Psychiatry. Res. 114: 137-148.
- Broadbelt K., Byne W., Jones LB, (2002). Evidence for a decrease in primary and secondary basilar dendrites on pyramidal cells in area 32 of schizophrenic prefrontal cortex. Schizophrenia Res. 58:75-81.
- Jones LB, (2004). Loss of spines and neuropil. In: Disorders of synaptic plasticity and schizophrenia. (Edt. Smythies J.) International Rev. of Neurobiology Volume 59. 1-18.
- Dwork A, Rosoklija G, Jones LB, (2005) Reduced Spinophilin in Schizophrenia. American J Psych. 167 (7) 1389-1390.
- Broadbelt K., Ramprasaud A., Jones LB. (2006).Evidence of altered neurogranin immunoreactivity in areas 9 and 32 of schizophrenic prefrontal cortex. Schizophr Res. 87(1-3):6-14.
- Broadbelt K., Jones LB. (2008). Evidence of altered calmodulin immunoreactivity in areas 9 and 32 of schizophrenic prefrontal cortex. J. Psychiatr. Res. 42: 612-621.
- Somenarain L, Jones LB. (2010). A comparative study of MAP2 immunostaining in areas 9 and 17 in schizophrenia and Huntington chorea. J Psychiatr Res. 44(11):694-9.
- Marmolejo N, Paez J, Levitt JB, Jones LB. (2012). Early postnatal lesion of the medial dorsal nucleus leads to loss of dendrites and spines in adult prefrontal cortex. Dev Neurosci.34(6):463-76.
Byne W., Jones L., Kemether E., Haroutunian H., and Davis KL (1997) Neurobiology of schizophrenia In: The Neurochemistry of Schizophrenia. (Charney DS, Nestler EJ, and Bunny BS, edts.) Oxford University Press, New York. In press.