Music Improv Camp 2013
Music Improvisation Camp
for Middle & High School Students
August 5 - August 9, 2013
10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Lehman College - Bronx, NY
The only program of its kind in the United States!
Register for the 2013 camp early to reserve your space AND apply for scholarship aid!
This one-of-a-kind NYC summer camp experience offers singers, string, brass, woodwind, percussion, keyboard and guitar players the opportunity to learn and develop their skills for improvising in Blues, Jazz, Rock, Latin, World and Classical music styles. Campers interact with like-minded musicians in a creative environment designed to promote learning and artistic freedom. Improv Camp Leadership Program for early registrants.
Our world-class curriculum and dedicated, professional musician, instructors engage campers with exciting activities that enable them to learn how to improvise solos and perform in small and large mixed ensembles. While learning how to improvise, students will discover how their overall performing skills improve, as well as the ability to play by ear, compose, arrange and conduct.
A typical day at the camp includes: workshops, practice time, music theory classes and ensemble rehearsals with professional guests, faculty and outstanding campers.
2013 Camp Sessions
A Unique Experience for Brass, Woodwind, String Players, as well as Singers (learn to scat), Keyboard, Guitar, Drums and World Music Instruments
• Intro to Improv - how to begin and develop your solos
• The Blues
• Improv Timeline - improv in different styles and eras
• Pockets of Jam(ming)
• World of Improv, including Jazz, Blues, Rock, Latin, Classical, Asian, Klezmer, Hoedown and World Music
• Singers Take Charge
• 5 Minutes of Fame - You are in the Spotlight
• Small group instruction / Performing with the Pros
• Composing and Arranging your songs
• Creating a video for YouTube of your music
• TC Music Improv Camp Idol - Performing for the ASCAP ** Panel
• Improv Celebration Parade on the Lehman Campus
• Gala Concert and Awarding of Improv Certificates
• Broadway ALIVE! Creating your own production
• Our Faculty: World Class Musicians, Teachers, & Recording Artists
Campers have the opportunity to learn from leading music educators and the SPIRIT Resident Improv Ensemble. plus SURPRISE GUEST ARTISTS
Benefits - more than just improv skills. A recent research study proved that the Improv methods and skills improve student self-esteem and academic potential.
Each year, campers tell us how much our program has helped them enjoy increased self-confidence, personal freedom and creative expression.
Each Camper Receives
- A custom camp T-shirt
- Improv Curriculum Notebook with over 100 pages of music
- Certificates of Achievement awarded to each camper at the final concert, open to the public
** Bonus activities include performing for representatives from the American Society of Composers, Arrangers and Publishers (ASCAP)
Last modified: Apr 30, 2013