- English Undergraduate Advisement & Permissions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- English Honors Program (EHP) Advisement & Permissions: email@example.com
- English Graduate Advisement & Permissions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- First-Year Initiative and Composition (CA-339, x1193): email@example.com
Most of our ENG/ENW 100/200-level courses meet General Education and/or Writing Intensive requirements. Students who take a 200-level ENG or ENW course need only three more courses to complete an English Minor in Literature, Creative Writing, or Professional Writing. Several departments outside English require their majors to take a 300-level literature or a creative/professional writing course in the English Department.
Several of our professional writing courses, including ENW 300, ENW 304, ENW 305, ENW 3070, ENW 365, ENW 3100, and ENW 3200, are required for majors in other departments, from Business and Accounting to Social Work. Students who take ENW 201 ("writing for success") + an ENW course related to their major are already halfway to a Minor in Professional Communications.
For current English courses, log into CUNYfirst and search for courses in English literature (ENG) and English writing (ENW).For current English courses, log into CUNYfirst and search for courses in English literature (ENG) and English writing (ENW).
|English Department - Winter CDAD Advising|
|Undergraduate CDAD||Graduate CDAD||Advisor||Office|
|Wed, 12/06 (12:00pm-6:30pm)||Walia||CA397|
|Tues, 01/02 (12:00pm-6:30pm)||Tues, 01/02 (12:00pm-6:30pm)||Walia||CA397|
|Wed, 01/03 (10:00pm-4:00pm)||Walia||CA397|
Tues, 01/09 (12:00pm-6:30pm)
|Tues, 01/09 (12:00pm-6:30pm)||
|Wed, 01/10 (10:00am-4:00pm)||Wed, 01/10 (10:00am-4:00pm)||O’Boy||CA921|
|Tues, 01/16 (12:00pm-6:30pm)||Tues, 01/16 (12:00pm-6:30pm)||Hyman||CA385|
|Wed, 01/17 (10:00am-4:00pm)||Wed, 01/17 (12:00pm-6:30pm)||Hyman & McElligott||CA385 & CA352|
|Tues, 01/23 (12:00pm-6:30pm)||Tues, 01/23 (12:00pm-6:30pm)||Walia & McElligott||CA397 & CA352|
|Wed, 01/24 (10:00am-4:00pm)||Wed, 01/24 (12:00pm-6:30pm)||Walia & McElligott||
CA397 & CA352
English Major and Minor Advisement
Permission is not advising! You must meet with an advisor to discussion Transcript Reviews, iDeclaration of Major or Minors, Transfer Credit Evaluations, Program Planning and Major Worksheets, Graduate Audits in Shuster 280, Signatures, and General Advising needs.
Be prepared! Have your EMPLID ready. If you are seeking transcript evaluation, have course descriptions on hand.
Waitlists, Open Seats and (No)Overtallies
Prior to the start of classes each term, waitlisted students are added to courses in order as seats become available. Once classes begin, waitlists end and students may register only for courses with available seats. Keep your eye open for emerging seats on CUNYfirst during Late Registration! The English Department does not do overtallies.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why do "Companies Scoop Up English Majors" - Wall Street Journal (2016)?
- What is the English Honors Program (EHP) and how can I apply?
- How will Lehman's English M.A. Program prepare me to become a professional or technial writer, teacher or college professor, or novelist or poet?
- What skills and knowledge does Lehman English aim to have students acquire, develop, and master?
- What online guides does Lief Library provide for English students?
- What resources does Lehman provide for experiential learning and career exploration?
- How do I ask professors for a recommendation letter?
- How do I write a personal statement (for an internship, graduate program, scholarship, or job)?