Proposal Processes, Procedures, Contacts, Calendars and Forms
Department and program faculty members are responsible for initiating curriculum changes, which proceed like this:
1) Faculty first discusses with the Department Chair any new or dramatically changed course or program curriculum proposals
2) Working with the departmental faculty curriculum liaison, faculty completes and formally submits to the Department Chair, all associated Curriculum Proposal Forms (see links below)
3) Chair obtains departmental support, 51% or simple majority of the full time department faculty is required, and forwards the approved Curriculum Proposal Forms to Office of Academic Programs Administrative Executive Assistant, Sophia Diamantis-Fry (firstname.lastname@example.org)
4) The Office of Academic Programs distributes the proposals to a) the Associate Provost of Academic Programs, b) all school Deans and Associate Deans, and c) the Senate Curriculum Committee Chairs
5) Senate Curriculum Committee Chair brings the proposal to the Lehman College Senate floor for a vote. NOTE: To discuss and answer questions, the Departmental Curriculum Liaison and/or initiating faculty attends the associated College Senate meeting
6) Upon College Senate approval, the curriculum proposals are forwarded to CUNY Central's Committee on Academic Programs, Policy and Research office
7) After CAPPR's final approval is obtained, the curriculum changes are entered into the following Chancellor's report and from that, the College Registrar enters all curriculum changes into the College's Smart Catalogue
8) Within weeks the new curriculum appears in the Bulletin...if procedures are followed correctly, depending on the scope of changes, the complete process takes between one semester to one year
- ARTS AND HUMANITIES DEPARTMENTAL FACULTY CURRICLUM LIAISONS
- LEHMAN COLLEGE SENATE CURRICULUM COMMITTEES LINK AND CHAIR CONTACTS, COLLEGE SENATE SCHEDULE, and CUNY DEADLINE CALENDAR
- CURRICULUM PROPOSAL FORMS, ACADEMIC PROGRAMS INVENTORY, and SAMPLE APPROVED PROPOSALS
|African and African American Studies||Mary Phillipsemail@example.com|
|David Hyman (note: also the School's College Senate Curriculum Committee member)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
Journalism, Communication, Theater
Christine McKenna & Claudia Case
|Languages and Literatures||Marco Ramirezemail@example.com|
|Latin American, Latino, and Puerto Rican Studies||
Click here to link to the Lehman College Senate Curriculum Committees Information
The UCC meeting is one week before the Senate items deadlines, and the UCC items deadline is always one week prior to that.
- UCC proposal submission deadline and meeting schedule
Click here to link to the Lehman College Senate Schedule
Departments should allow at least two weeks (for complex proposals, more) prior to the items deadline to enable proposals to go through both the School and Senate curriculum committees. And, during Curriculum Committee and Senate meetings in which departmental proposals are discussed, departments are strongly advised to have their faculty curriculum liaison present.
Click here to link to the CUNY Deadline Calendar
Proposals approved by the Lehman College Senate proceed to the CUNY Office of Academic Affairs (OAA), the Committee on Academic Program, Policy, and Research (CAPPR), and the CUNY Board. And depending on when Senate-approved proposals arrive at the CUNY Office of Academic Affairs, the CUNY Deadline Calendar indicates how long it takes for final CUNY approval. Note: Lehman College must approve any University Curriculum Committee recommendations before proposals proceed to the CUNY Board.
To propose course curriculum changes, program degree requirement changes, add new courses, or to withdraw courses, department faculty must complete and submit the corresponding following forms:
- Form for Change in Course Description/Hours/Credits/Number/Co or Prerequisite/Title/Alpha Code and/or Note
- Form for Change in Degree Requirements/Admission Requirements/Area of Concentration Requirements and/or Dept. Grade Requirements Progression Criteria
- Form for Experimental Course/New Course/New Course with Cross Listing
- Form for Withdrawal of Course/Minor or other Curricular Matters
As departments prepare the “Changes in Degree Requirements” form, they should consult the Academic Programs Inventory for Lehman College for the following information:
- The “Program Code”, used by the New York State Education Department to register programs, is the five-digit number that appears at the top left of each entry in boldface.
- The “HEGIS code” (Higher Education General Information Survey) appears on the left just under the CIP code.
- A “Major Code,” used by the Lehman College Registrar to keep track of majors is the three-digit number indented from the left-hand margin, located to the left of the program name.
Last modified: Jun 15, 2016