Academic Advising Services
What We Do
The Office of Academic Advisement houses undergraduate academic advisement. We also provide advisement to undergraduates planning to apply for graduate and professional schools.
Undergraduate advisors assist students in successfully planning their undergraduate academic careers at Lehman. We provide assistance in the following areas:
- choosing classes to meet general education requirements and reviewing those choices when it's time to perform a graduation check;
- dispensing information on academic policies that affect grades and eligibility for either probation or graduate school;
- granting permission to take "excess" credits and/or courses at another college;
- helping to prepare appeals for (among other issues) late or retroactive withdrawal from classes and appeals for readmission after being dismissed for poor scholarship; and
- providing referrals to various academic programs and student services.
Certain careers require professional school after college graduation. These schools do not necessarily require specific majors, but careful planning is required to make sure that you have taken all the courses required for admission to the school of your choice.
Students interested in medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, pharmacy, law, and engineering should consult the appropriate preprofessional advisor.
Pregraduate advisement is for Lehman undergraduates planning to attend graduate school. Students who are planning graduate study should consult a pregraduate advisor for advice on the following:
- selecting graduate programs in their fields
- the application process
- GRE preparation
- getting letters of recommendation
- writing the application.